The Sewing Place

Removing rhinestones and the residual glue

Marniesews

Removing rhinestones and the residual glue
« on: April 23, 2019, 04:20:34 AM »
Has anyone had any success removing stones stuck on with white glue such as GemTac? I've read that nail varnish remover or acetone (where does one buy that?) is the way to go but I thought some of you may have advice from personal experience.

I've been unwell again today (yet another reappearance of the wretched bug) so I've been mostly sleeping and surfing the internet. I found several YouTube channels of Russian makers of rhythmic gymnastic makers which I found fascinating, even the ones without English subtitles, and saw how they used an iron to set hotfix stones and the same to remove them without any apparent damage to the fabric.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Radiofan

Re: Removing rhinestones and the residual glue
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:31:18 AM »
Acetone is the stuff for loosening glue, paint etc. It might affect the colour of the fabric a bit, but I have used it with success many times.

I purchased a 250ml bottle online a long time ago, a litle goes a long way. Some nail varnish removers are based on Acetone, I would have thought a local pharmacy or beauticians will have some.

The stuff evepourates quickly, so you need to apply enough to soak into the fabric and then pick/scrape away at the glue. It softens the glue, but you still need to break it up and scrape it off.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:35:10 AM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:09:24 AM »
My cheat sheet from a Swarovski wholesaler says to soften the glue with wet paper towels over the spot, and scrape gently to remove as much glue as possible.  Then make a solution of 1 tablespoon ammonia to one cup warm water.  Sponge on, soak and lift the rhinestone gently.  Repeat until removed.

The other tip is acetone.  Applied the same way after removing as much glue. 

One thing is, both say to test fabric in an inconspicuous place for colorfastness before applying to main fabric.   Main issue would be that sometimes acetone can melt certain fabric as well as bleach it out. 

I use hot fix, and I don't think I've ever removed them.  I do repair bridal gowns where they have fallen off so it is different.  I scrape and reapply.  Usually my methods (and crystals) are actually better, so I can't really comment on how well it works in actuality.

In the US, it''s easy enough to find; we have it at Wal-Mart among many other places. 

Here is a forum that discusses acetone for sale in the UK: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?462355-Buying-acetone-in-the-UK   Several sites are listed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAZ-Pure-Acetone-Polish-Remover/dp/B006ISCFI8 is a nail varnish, and probably easier to buy.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 14:24:53 PM »
Really helpful replies, thank you. Lots of useful supplier info for the acetone and the hairdresser suggestion is a good one.

Just one more question, probably obvious but I'm just checking - I assume you dampen the fabric and apply the acetone from the back of the fabric initially to loosen the stone to pick off and then scrape/apply more acetone directly to the remaining glue once it's off.

The reason I'm asking is I may have to remove quite a few to take a dress in although it's red mesh & lycra so from what you say (and well known issues with red in particular) there may well be a problem with the dye fastness.  :'(
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 14:24:04 PM »
The actual solvent for Gemtac according to the manufacturers is dry cleaning fluid - perchloroethylene (perc). You can buy it on ebay and amazon, but it's fairly nasty stuff! I don't actually have any (I must get some), but I did  try having something with Gemtac residue drycleaned and all the glue was gone when it came back, so I think it does work.

I've only had limited success with acetone on Gemtac, but it's great for hotfix stones. Dab a bit on with a Q-tip or cotton pad and they fall right off. With Gemtac, I find the stones themselves eventually come off with acetone, but it's easy to damage the fabric trying to get the rest of the glue off. Not so much colour changes as abrasion from the scraping. I'd use it on dry fabric, or you will dilute it.

Acetone would certainly be enough to let you put a seam where stones were, but for major changes in the stoning, it might be better to try to get some perc.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 17:00:20 PM »
 That's worth knowing, Carol. Thank you.   :D

Alangus

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 19:19:13 PM »
Has anyone had any success removing stones stuck on with white glue such as GemTac? I've read that nail varnish remover or acetone (where does one buy that?) is the way to go but I thought some of you may have advice from personal experience.

I've been unwell again today (yet another reappearance of the wretched bug) so I've been mostly sleeping and surfing the internet. I found several YouTube channels of Russian makers of rhythmic gymnastic makers which I found fascinating, even the ones without English subtitles, and saw how they used an iron to set hotfix stones and the same to remove them without any apparent damage to the fabric.

I only just saw this so might be to late to help but I've taken them off to do alterations in two ways - both leave residue so only suitable if you are hiding in a seam or putting them back on:-

I have soaked in water till the glue goes white and picked off with my nails - not the nicest job but it works. I was careful for colour run.

I have also used an iron with steam to loosen the glue - the heat and steam seem to work quite well - and pick off. Again I had to be careful with heat around lycra.

I always end up with horrible nails and hands after removing crystals.

Al