The Sewing Place

Mini Hoover for defluffing

Ploshkin

Mini Hoover for defluffing
« on: April 08, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »
I'm very good  :angel: I defluff my machine and overlocker each time I finish making something.  I use the little brush and most of the fluff sticks to it but plenty falls further down into the machine (especially the overlocker where static makes it stick to the inside of the plastic casing).  I don't want to blow and send bits further into the workings.
Does anyone use a mini hoover for defluffing?   They seem to cost a fiver (probably crap) or fifty quid with not a lot in between.  Any recommendations or other means of getting the stray bits out?

Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

Re: Mini Hoover for defluffing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »
I think I could use one of those Plosh.  Atm I use one of those Velcro brush things, and my knees suffer afterwards.  That's right, me on hands and knees with a Velcro brush...

If I don't, OH will come in with the Dyson and then I'll have to spend ages cutting thread from the brush.

It could be the answer to my prayers.  ;)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »
Following with interest.

I’m using some reels of Moon on my O/L and the fluff is amazing.

Ages ago someone posted on the other place about an attachment for a regular vacuum that was good at getting into small spaces. I think it was designed for computers.

I always meant to investigate further but something sparklier  must have caught my attention.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 13:23:29 PM »
I have one, inherited from my dad.  It's battery operated and fairly cr@p, but it does have an angled 'crevice tool' that's good for getting into the workings of the overlocker where it's hard to reach with a brush.  I think he bought it as part of a PC maintenance kit.  For everything else I remove outer casings with a screwdriver and go at it with a brush.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 17:25:34 PM »
I've got a 'DustBuster' handheld vacuum cleaner thingy. If you remember when they were the thing. I wonder if that would be worth charging up and trying.
I mostly use little brushes, but do find some fabrics are worse than others for fluff production.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 17:29:29 PM »
I also inherited one from my Dad!  it`s a Bush - ok but not terribly powerful and you need to keep the filters clean or it has very little suction

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 17:48:57 PM »
I wonder if this is the kit you were thinking of
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/mini-vacuum#.XKt7PPZFwdU
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 18:50:48 PM »
I wonder if this is the kit you were thinking of
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/mini-vacuum#.XKt7PPZFwdU

@Sewingsue. Ooh, ooh, ooh, I've been looking for a kit like that for ages. I have to be honest and admit to using my hairdryer on low to get the fluff my trusty little paint brush can't reach but it does make a flipping mess. I've just put one in my basket, I want some more zips anyhow. Thank you  <3
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 21:19:03 PM by Surest1tch »

Flobear

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 20:51:15 PM »
Oooh, something I never knew I needed! It's on my wishlist now. Thank you for the link @Sewingsue
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 22:08:34 PM »
I had forgotten about small tools for a standard sized Hoover, I was only thinking about mini hoovers.  I might well give those a go for a tenner.  It's got to be better than a weak battery powered thing.  Thanks @Sewingsue   
Life's too short for ironing.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 22:22:36 PM »
I use a car vacuum. I bought a 12v battery (for an electric scooter) that I connect the vacuum to. Works a treat.

Similar kit to Jaycotts is available on Amazon.

Clareew

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 22:27:21 PM »
I had a similar add on but my vacuum cleaner couldn't cope with the reduced air flow and overheated.

PollyWally

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 07:57:14 AM »
I have used a very small piece of microfibre cloth and long tweezers to clean the inside of my overlocker. It seems to help with the static problem.