The Sewing Place

Anti-glue sewing machine needles!

Marniesews

Anti-glue sewing machine needles!
« on: March 01, 2019, 20:49:40 PM »
After reading a post elsewhere about someone battling a glued feather trim that was resolved by using Anti-Glue needles, I've just picked up a pack (130/705H-E LP) from my localish BSK shop. I thought it might be a useful thing to have in the bag for sticky situations.

They are gunmetal grey and feel very smooth. I imagine they might be useful for some finicky fabrics with sticky sewing characteristics.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Anti-glue sewing machine needles!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 21:53:17 PM »
Well that’s a new one on me!

Roger

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 03:19:46 AM »
Me too....
I heard titanium needles are good in gluey situations but you may need to give them a wipe after a period of use with alcohol.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »
Oooh I didnt even know these things existed ... could be useful when using Ultrahold but still needing to stitch through (Wish I had known of these when I was appliqueing TV, I had to wipe my needles regularly with nail polish remover!)

Do you think they are coated with silicon?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
If they're grey and matt it's more likely to be something like Teflon® er summat.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »
you may need to give them a wipe after a period of use with alcohol.
That could be read two ways    :)
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
Yo-dee-hoooo.... time to clean my needlesh... :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
I've just ordered some of these from Amazon - thanks for letting us know about them!

I had terrible trouble doing some cut away lace embroidery on my machine a few months ago.  I had to abandon it in the end because the needle (Schmetz titanium) got so badly gunked up so quickly.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Clareew

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
Something else I didn't know existed and now have to have.  0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 20:47:38 PM »
Schmetz make them too under the name Gold Embroidery needles. It's the same reference 130/705H-ET but they have a shiny gold shaft and state they are titanium nitride coated.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 21:25:26 PM »
I haven't tried them yet, but they look and feel very different to the Schmetz ones, which have always been fine with self adhesive stabiliser, but couldn't cope with the double layer needed for cut away lace.  I think the part of the reference that is the same just refers to the size of the needles.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 21:27:43 PM by Acorn »

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 22:12:30 PM »
I think the part of the reference that is the same just refers to the size of the needles.

You're right! I got so excited with the Schmetz scissors discovery that I wasn't paying proper attention! 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 09:11:14 AM »
Yes, those scissors are very tempting... but I shouldn't buy new scissors just because I can't remember where I put my old ones...  -<