The Sewing Place

Someone has crossed to the Dark Side

Missie

Someone has crossed to the Dark Side
« on: April 08, 2019, 14:27:14 PM »
DD has loosely dabbled in sewing but has not shown huge interest in it.  She is now doing her Duke of Edinburgh and has to do a skill.  She needs to spend 1 hour a week for 12 weeks on it.  Since we have a veritable FQ stash (her pleadings to purchase), I suggested she do the Amy Gibson Block of the Month course.  I've had it since 2012 I think when it was published but have never done it and she has agreed.  She won't need to do the whole set and so will probably end up with a lap quilt.  We spent yesterday doing the first block and she was quite pleased with it.

BrendaP

Re: Someone has crossed to the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 14:30:44 PM »
A skill like that will stay with her.  Whilst she might not go anywhere near the darkside after the award is completed, she will eventually return albeit many years hence.  :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 14:39:10 PM »
Craftsy 2012 BOM  is a brilliant way to begin learning The DarkArts ... Well done you for guiding her to that excellent tutorial and well done her (in advance) any questions she can ask here !
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 21:13:52 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 21:04:56 PM »
Please enlighten an ignorant American- what do you mean by "doing her Duke of Edinburgh"?

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 21:15:00 PM »

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 05:46:43 AM »
That sounds like a very worthy program! I searched out the US site for it and it's only been in the US since 2006, and there's currently not any structure for it in my state, so no wonder that I've never heard of it!

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:26:03 AM »
It's a great thing because teens are hard to keep engaged and it's challenging for them.
My brother did it right up to Gold. He's no sissy and I remember him crying when he came back from a five day hike over moorland in the wind and rain. His feet were in ribbons and the skin was coming off with his socks!  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
I remember DD doing it.  She's not at all outdoorsy, but she loved it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
I remember DD doing it.  She's not at all outdoorsy, but she loved it.

Jessie

DD came home and was desperate to do it.  She, out of all of mine, would really benefit from it as she needs to try new things and be taken out of her comfort zone.  So fingers crossed it will help her!

Missie

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:51:34 AM »
Second Block done and this "simple" block gave quite a few lessons, not least making sure your fabric is the right way up/round when you attach it to the block.  A bit of unpicking had to be done.  Also, the thread broke and ended up nesting after re-threading the needle.  A few attempts revealed it needed to be rethreaded completely as the thread managed to escape all the fixings!

I'm making sure she keeps notes of any problems or things learned, just in case her teacher requires further evidence of her having done this.  She keeps insisting she won't be asked, but you just never know, although try telling a teen that they don't always know best is not the easiest.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:48:17 PM »
Im loving this ... takes me right back to when I started in 2013.

Actually Im going to get in on the act ....

Terrible pic, but I cant be bothered going upstairs and rootling around for the actual item. Lets make it a twofer ...

Has your DD joined TSP ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:50:16 PM by Iminei »

Missie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 14:38:12 PM »
@Iminei  Love those fabric choices!

No she hasn't joined.  I really don't imagine that she will continue sewing   She's only doing it as it was the easiest and cheapest skill to do! (*whispering* and besides which this MY space/place :P).

Missie

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 14:57:53 PM »
We’ve had a bit of a break but 3rd block is done. It has come up short so think our scant 1/4 inch seams are not scant enough. Neither of us could be bothered to unpick and resew it so we have fudged it by adding a white border to get it up to the correct size. Other Lesson learned is  that when cutting down a square made up of 2 half triangles, ensure that the diagonal seam is going the  correct way else you don't end up with equal triangles, sigh!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 21:47:44 PM by Missie »

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 17:08:28 PM »
Or simply cut pieces 1/4" larger and trim down ...
Lovely patterns, colours and block !

maliw

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 19:08:34 PM »
You're doing really well. I downloaded this course and haven't done any of the blocks so you've done 3 more blocks than me.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula