The Sewing Place

Pfaff Creative - plethora of built-in utility stitches

greenfrog

Pfaff Creative - plethora of built-in utility stitches
« on: April 09, 2019, 14:22:52 PM »
I see from earlier posts that some people have Pfaff machines.  I have recently started to work my way through the manual of mine from scratch because although it is ten years old I have always tended to use a limited selection of its pre-programmed stitches and have not used the machine to its full potential. I am making samples which I am keeping in an A4 binder by running off rows of all the programmed stitches using their default settings and just seeing how they perform on a single layer of interfaced calico.  All is going well but the manual doesn't really show you under what circumstances you might use, for example, the 16 different overlock/overcast/mock cover hem/overlock blindhem variations and I wonder if anybody has come across any literature or online info regarding the use all of these built-in utility stitches?   

StitchinTime

Re: Pfaff Creative - plethora of built-in utility stitches
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 14:49:08 PM »
I came across the Bernina workbooks (while looking for information on old Bernina feet) and the first two of the sewing machine books might be of interest to you. The instructions won't exactly match your machine, but I'm sure you could find the equivalent stitches.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 15:44:34 PM »
I often find many of those utility stitches seem too big and I wonder how strong they are when a seam is put under pressure. I also rather like to use some of the decorative stitches for utility purposes too. The honeycomb stitch (it's on my Pfaff and old Berninas) I always use it for a sweetheart neckline when it's attached to stretch mesh using an appliqué method as in the photo. You can use 3-step zigzag but the honeycomb pattern creates a flatter and parallel edge join.

Not as good a fit as when it was made - she lost weight!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 15:46:18 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

greenfrog

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 16:28:33 PM »
Thank you StitchinTime and Marniesews.

The Bernina workbooks do show a bit of methodology especially for blind hemming technique which is useful.  I've always tended to use hand stitches for blind hemming as I feel more in control but I think I'll apply a bit more practise on the machine and see if I can't get a bit better at it.

Many of my utility stitches seem to be for stretch fabrics so I think I'll just make up some mini sample scenarios with some jersey off cuts and see how they perform in different situations.  In the past I've tended to use a narrow zigzag for stretch seams and finish off with the overlocker but it seems a shame not to use the range of preprogrammed stitches.

I like your use of the honeycomb stitch (which my machine does), Marniesews.  It is a long time since I made anything in Lycra.  Baton twirling was very popular at one time and I made numerous glittery outfits for them.

Having been unable to find any useful information on the Pfaff website I have come across a book on Amazon - Super Stitches Sewing by Nicole Vasbinder which I've just ordered 2nd hand for £3.99 and which might suggest some uses for all of these programmed stitches. If not, then it hasn't broken the bank.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 22:02:55 PM »
Many of my utility stitches seem to be for stretch fabrics so I think I'll just make up some mini sample scenarios with some jersey off cuts and see how they perform in different situations.  In the past I've tended to use a narrow zigzag for stretch seams and finish off with the overlocker but it seems a shame not to use the range of preprogrammed stitches.

Now I realise that you're looking at stretch stitches I do have a few more comments. I often hear people using the lightening stitch and triple straight stitch but I do hope they don't sew them until the garment is fully fitted as they are an absolute nightmare to unpick and really difficult not to damage/pluck the fabric in the process. They are certainly firm, their vice and virtue rolled into one. Of the two I prefer the triple straight stitch and although I mostly use my overlocker for knit seams, there is the odd occasion when I think it's actually better option than overlocking such as,

• sewing shoulder seams (with some tape as stabiliser) so I can open the seams and minimise any lump on the neckline binding or band or sleeve head from a folded over overlocked seam
  • joining a band or binding into a loop for a neckline (or leotard leg) finish. Because their purpose is to pull in the opening, there is more tension on that back seam so overlocker stitches will often be more visible, Like the other, it also means you can open the seams so it lies flatter here too.

I especially like the 3-step zigzag for all sorts, not just stretch. Definitely my most frequently used utility stitch, more than simple zigzag.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.