The Sewing Place

OBTAINED! Oop Butterick 5917 Dress Pattern

Giotto

OBTAINED! Oop Butterick 5917 Dress Pattern
« on: April 09, 2019, 21:07:05 PM »
I'm going to a wedding in South Africa at Christmas time and having searched and searched I have found what I think would be the perfect pattern: not too complicated to make, in a light woven fabric, but elegant so that I will look as if I have made an effort to dress up - but it's out of print!  :'(  There are lots of reviews of it here https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/60328 - straight (or flowy) with a feminine front ruffle.

Does anyone have it who would like to sell me it?  Or, if you don't want to sell it to me would you lend it to me, so that I could trace it, and then return it to you?

Please, pretty please?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 22:41:32 PM by Giotto »

sewingj

Re: WANTED: Oop Butterick 5917 Dress Pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 21:45:35 PM »
I actually threw this out recently! I made it up twice and both times could not get the ruffle to lie right so decided I wasn't likely to have another go. I think I used viscose - perhaps something with more body would be more successful. Good luck!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 22:00:09 PM »
bummer...I’ve just sent this to the charity shop last week! Are you on FB? There’s a few groups that sell patterns.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 22:02:36 PM by Efemera »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 22:48:21 PM »
I think I have it upstairs, will look in the morning.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Giotto

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 23:17:10 PM »
Oh, @sewingj and @Efemera, isn't that just like the thing?  My mother was a great hoarder - and you've just justified her reasoning! ;) She used to say that no sooner would you have dumped something than you'd find a use for it!

I'm looking for size 12, @Francesca, possibly grading out to 14 over the hips if I do the shift dress version.

Thanks, @toileandtrouble, for your efforts.

I'll have a look on Facebook for the pattern groups.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:04:10 AM »
There is one on Amazon but size 14-22 and it is £34!
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Giotto

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »
Wow @sewmuchmore!  £34?  That's expensive!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 16:13:15 PM »
@Giotto I have it but it is the larger one, 14-22.  Could you work from the 14 and reduce the bust size? If you can't get the smaller one, I will trace off the 14 for you, if it would work for you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 18:35:40 PM by toileandtrouble »

Giotto

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 19:23:55 PM »
Thank you, @toileandtrouble, for your very kind offer but that would be a lot of "toil and trouble" for you.  I think I could work ok from the size 14.  I would happily trace it off myself and make a copy of the instructions if you were to send it to me, and reimburse you for the postage when posting it back to you - but I understand if you'd rather not do that since as far as you know I'm just an anonymous person on the internet and you might be afraid you'd never see your pattern again!
I shall try to see if I can get it elsewhere but if I'm not successful I may come back to take you up on your offer.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 21:06:02 PM »
Actually, when I dug it out, I remembered why I bought it!  I hope to cut something out soon, once I have also located the fabric. If it went away, it's almost guaranteed to be then that I will find the time to do it.
It is a valid point though, we are all unknown people on the internet, it's just that this forum feels so homelike and safe.  I'm pretty sure that just about everyone here is straightforward, they are so helpful and generous with advice and time. If anyone is lurking on here hoping to steal people's patterns, they must be jolly patient.  Let me know if you want it doing.  Did you just want the straight skirt?

Giotto

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
Thank you, again, @toileandtrouble.  I didn't mean to imply that forum members were likely to be thieves just waiting for their chance but I was just pointing out the reality that we don't really know each other when conversing via the internet compared with meeting in person.

Yes, I would be interested in the straight skirt as I think it would look smart for a wedding.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 13:12:07 PM »
No, you didn't imply it, it was my  joke. Shouldn't make jokes for people who don't know my  weird sense of humour! 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 15:40:42 PM »
@Giotto  I can trace it off tomorrow, if you let me know today. Things get a bit busy after that.

Giotto

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 15:02:10 PM »
Sorry, @toileandtrouble, I've been away on holiday and only just returned late last night.  I was so busy sight-seeing, walking, having extended lunches, dragging my long-suffering husband on bus journeys in search of fabric in Salzburg (successful!  0_0) that I didn't notice your message above.  Not to worry, if you're too busy now.  I'm still on the search for a copy of this for myself but if not successful in the next couple of months then, if you don't mind, I may come back to you.  I want to make this dress (unless in the meantime I find something I like even better!) for a wedding late December so it's not exactly urgent!

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 13:06:45 PM »
Just seen this thread and I have this pattern, probably round the size 14 size.  I've had out a few times and then put away so it might just have been cut out and stuffed back (literally knowing me). 

Anybody want it, just send me a suitable size pre-paid envelope and it's yours, not fussed about money.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included