The Sewing Place

Would you bother?

b15erk

Would you bother?
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »
I have a pair of cut off linen trousers I really like.  I bought them in the sale at Principles last year (maybe the year before), and they always look nice.  I took the 14 back as they felt a bit snug, but now the size 16 is hanging off me like clown pants.

There is no waistband, but there are 10 belt loops.  I could take some out of the back easily enough, but there are pockets at the sides and back pockets as well, which would make it difficult to take in at the side.  I would need to take them in at the side to slim the trouser leg I think.

Is it going to be more trouble than it's worth?  I don't much like alterations... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

Re: Would you bother?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 13:29:00 PM »
@b15erk alterations make me shudder, I'm never successful. How about making them into a skirt, or is there just acres of fabric flapping about?  :S
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 13:47:47 PM »
SS, I really like the trousers as they are - but just not quite so big!  ;)  I'm not a skirt girl...

I'm sure if I keep them long enough they'll fit me again.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 14:09:12 PM »
Buy a new pair...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 14:15:31 PM »
Depends how much you like them. But pockets in the way  could be a pain.  Can you pin some out of the back and see if it would work first before deciding? 
I have a few pairs need taking in but I don’t often put pockets in them and the side seams are open ones so they won’t be too bad once I can be bothered to take the waistband off!   :)

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 14:18:02 PM »
Eat more chocolate

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 17:08:07 PM »

I'm sure if I keep them long enough they'll fit me again.  :S

That was my first thought :o sorry :P
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Radiofan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 17:13:42 PM »
How about darts in the upper back? Or is the whole thing too baggy?
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 19:29:22 PM »
could you take in the inside leg a bit?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 19:30:24 PM »
Do you really, really need the pockets? If you don't it'd make your life easier to alter them and remove the pockets. OK, OK It's the lazy way

crafter

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 20:50:33 PM »
Get the 14's back and east less chocolate. :D

hernibs

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 17:20:53 PM »
My weight fluctuates and I have this dilemma about taking in trousers.  Not Basler or Michele trousers which always are cut well but say M & S and Debenhams etc will always be too wide for me....taking them in is a pain - I wish someone could give the definitive way to take in a trousers and get a good look.
In the past, Jessie, I have not worried about the pockets and taken in the side seams anyhow - I doesn't matter with me as I always have that area covered up....it might be different if you had to have that area on show.

Kwaaked

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 18:42:41 PM »
Does the crotch fit when the excess is pinned?  How much off the legs do you need?  How much in waist and hip need taken in?

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 22:29:56 PM »
Taking in the waist/hips of trousers is a bit of a pain but tapering the legs is easy, do it on the inside leg seams.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.