The Sewing Place

Linen/viscose?

sewingj

Linen/viscose?
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
I`ve got some loose summer trousers bought from BHS years ago which are 55%linen 45% viscose and are very comfortable and don`t crease too much.
I`d like to replicate them but can`t find similar fabric, can anyone help?

Minerva Crafts have some

https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/fabric/dress-fabrics/mv-j612-black-linen-viscose-fabric-black-per-metre

but I`ve had problems dealing with them in the past and would prefer not to buy from them again.
I`m looking for black or navy

Failing that, what would be a suitable alternative?  (preferably looks like linen but softer and less creasing)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:39:34 AM by sewingj »

Puzzler

Re: Linen/viscose?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
In the previous thread about cotton lawn, someone added a link to Maggie’s Fab Fabrics. She had some linen viscose in a few colours but it appears the fabric is suiting weight. Too heavy for summer trousers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/maggiesfabfabrics?_pgn=3

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
@Francesca   were you happy with the fabric that you used for your jumpsuit?  Do you think it would be ok for what I want?  If I do get it from Minerva I`d rather not get a sample (£1) if I can avoid it

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 13:28:25 PM »
These look pretty good to me https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ssn=fabfabricsbymaggie&LH_PrefLoc=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2499338.m570.l1311.R2.TR2.TRC0.A0.H2.Xviscose+linen.TRS0&_nkw=viscose+linen&_sacat=0  and half the price of Minerva.

I've bought a fair few fabrics from her eBay store and never been disappointed with the quality or price.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 14:08:22 PM »
Fabworks have a linen/viscose in a dark colour, but can't decide what colour it is. Also quite a few linen/cotton or linen/cupro.  Their stuff is good.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I`ve ordered a sample from Fabworks.  It works out cheaper than Minerva even though I would have qualified for free delivery from them

PS I`ve now discovered that Stoff & Stil have  2 weights of linen/viscose in several colours but it`s more money and narrower than the Fabworks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:44:27 AM by sewingj »

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 10:35:22 AM »
@sewingj Fabric Godmother have some but I can't recall colours.  They also have linen look viscose - that is described as drapey so may not suit your needs.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 13:08:55 PM »
I might have to go on the Rant Thread!  The sample from Fabworks (£1) has just arrived - it`s just what I wanted so I`ve gone straight to their website and it`s out of stock!  Why send a sample if they can`t supply the fabric?
I`m going to email and ask if they are likely to get more though I see from their FAQs that they don`t re-order.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 13:15:42 PM by sewingj »

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 13:46:52 PM »
I`m going to have to eat humble pie now!  They replied to my email very promptly and have updated the website to show that it is still in stock.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 14:41:14 PM »
Glad you found what you wanted @sewingj. I like a linen and viscose mix too - just as nice as linen to wear and marginally less creasy than pure linen. If you do fancy some pure linen for any other projects - fab fabrics by Maggie have some very well priced pure linen (£3 pm) in at the moment - it's quite light weight but will be nice for summer trousers or dresses. I like Fabworks - I especially like visiting in person.  :devil:

Unfortunately I don't think you are anywhere near a branch of Abakhan, but for anyone who is, they have loads of plain linens and linen mixtures in their 'linen look' remnant bins - works out at about £4pm or even less sometimes. Some very nice stuff if you have a rummage - and go on a Wednesday for a 10% reduction if you are >60.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde