The Sewing Place

Aldi fat quarters

jintie

Re: Aldi fat quarters
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 17:22:52 PM »
Hi Annieeg, yes, I wash most fabric first, to prevent nasty surprises later. 
Rottweiler with scissors

Celia

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 17:52:34 PM »
And you @Celia, unlike 99% of peeps who always want to make a double bed cover for their very first project, (and I can shamefacedly count myself amongst them) are doing it right.

Starting with something manageable, working your way up to bigger and better things!

If you would like to visit and be my guinea pig, Im desperate to do a trial run of this class Im teaching in May ????

Thank you @Iminei If you were a little nearer I would be with you ASAP, work is getting in the way of what I want to do at the moment.  What are you teaching in May?

Iminei

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 19:36:50 PM »
D9P ... the beginners block of choice, as you get a whole load of bang for your buck ie it looks far more complicated than it actually is. actually I have all the pics so should really get round to putting a tut together.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
Tutorial........ sew 9 squares of the same size together in a grid 3x3. Cut along the middle of both axes ( axises ). Arrange the 4 resultant blocks in any way you wish.......repeat endlessly  :D
Good luck  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
D9P ... the beginners block of choice, as you get a whole load of bang for your buck ie it looks far more complicated than it actually is. actually I have all the pics so should really get round to putting a tut together.

This looks lovely,  I must look through my fabrics I have some quilting fabric but I have a problem, how do you decide how much fabric to buy when you are not sure about what you are going to make, Do you only buy when you have a project in mind?

Missie

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 12:13:57 PM »
The quality of the aldi FQs is nowhere near as good as the quality of "proper" quilting fabrics and are a looser weave and a stiffer fabric (but that may be dressing?).  However, I figure they are good enough to learn quilting on and in fact DD is using them to do the Amy Gibson block of the month (from 2012 I think) to learn quilting which will be her skill for her Duke of Edinburgh.  We have just done our first block.

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
I've just used a couple of Peter Rabbit ones from last year to line the Poppins Return bag, and they were fine.

Too thin for proper quilting I would have thought, and pretty poorly printed.  Fine for what I wanted though.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 17:42:42 PM »
@Missie  ...

you must start a thread for your daughters 'journey' (hate that expression but dont know what else to put) into the Darkside and out into the glory of the Duke of Edinburghs award.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again