The Sewing Place

Free Weekender Bag Pattern

b15erk

Free Weekender Bag Pattern
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
Just finished one of these, and as the pattern is a free one, I wondered if anyone would be interested

Find it Here

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Morgan

Re: Free Weekender Bag Pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 13:30:57 PM »
more - still good designs -

The Weekender Bag

Carpet Bag style carryall

Holster Bag (it's a good pattern)

Several more by Don Morin

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 13:35:52 PM »
Some excellent patterns there Morgan. I like the Holster Bag... 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 14:56:22 PM »
I'd love to make one of these, but the only thing/query I have is how is it made waterproof?  I'd hate to make a fabric one, be caught in rain and have all my clothes get wet?  Or am I being thick, which is quite within the realms of possibility.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 15:28:57 PM »
I’ve just been away overnight and have been bemoaning the fact that my bag wasn’t big enough.

I’ve got some navy pleather from the Church, might have to be my next project.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 15:40:28 PM »
@Missie , I seem to remember years ago, that you could buy spray on waterproof stuff.  It never even crossed my mind when I was making it  :|

I wouldn't mind trying another bag, but there always seems to be other stuff waiting to be made.

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 16:35:14 PM »
You can get wash in and spray on proofing. Nikwax was what I used on ski gear and I think it needs to be tumble dried. It would be available in outdoorsy outlets.
I think there's other stuff on the market now for coating fabric. I've seen it on Sewing Quarter but It was ages ago and I can't remember what it was called.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
That's the one @Lizzy777. I knew it started with 'O' but I couldn't get Osmocote out of my head.  0_0
I've never used it so can't comment on it's efficacy.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
Good tutorial there, but still way beyond my skill (hahahahaha  0_0 )  level!
But thank you Jessie x
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
I seem to recall that Cotton Patch do the stuff for waterproofing fabric.

ETA I know I got into trouble with some for recommending Stoff and Stil but at the risk of incurring more wrath they do a fabric called pap fab which they describe as 'vegan leather' that can be used for bags.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:52:24 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
Trouble?!?!? I'll give you trouble. They emailed me this morning and my basket is full...again. What is wrong with those people and their lovely stuff?  :loveit:
Sorry off topic but @Ploshkin is their French terry ok for sweatshirts/hoodies?

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
@wrenkins  I absolve myself of responsibility for your actions  ;)
Their French Terry (that I bought) has a brushed back.  I used it for a Jenna cardigan (I posted a thread on here a week or so ago) and also got a bonus sweatshirt out of it because it was so wide.
It's not the heaviest weight sweatshirt fabric but it's a decent thickness.  The fabric quality was good.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
Thanks @Ploshkin.
Sold to the lady with the basket full of stuff.  :ninja: