The Sewing Place

Scissors

BrendaP

Re: Scissors
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2024, 14:25:49 PM »
Dunno about that...
I've cut some rather nice curves with the rotary blades. The biggest problems with rotary cutters are the need for a cutting mat and if the ruler slips, the straight line goes out the window.

The need for a huge cutting mat and the cost of replacing blades - even if you do sharpen them they don't last that long.

Stand over the ruler and press down; it doesn't slip if you do it properly.

I'm with @Ohsewsimple  in using the rotary cutter for bias tape or straps but I still maintain that scissors are more accurate for cutting out - look at some old GBSB programs and you'll see some really inaccurate cutting out by contestants who used rotary cutters.  I recall one who must have sliced at least a quarter inch off the pattern edge, and thus also the fabric.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2024, 16:19:34 PM »
They're cutting in a ridiculous hurry on GBSB, though. I happily cut curves with mine and they're much smoother than with my scissors.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

So Chic

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2024, 13:06:40 PM »
I still can’t use a rotary cutter despite trying so it’s back to scissors.  I don’t know what I do wrong but I don’t either cut the fabric or the ruler moves and I end up trimming with scissors. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up