The Sewing Place

Leaking denim

sewmuchmore

Leaking denim
« on: April 12, 2019, 17:53:43 PM »
Today I went to the fabric shop in Barnsley that is closing down. Very uninspiring and not that much discounted. I did however buy some denim to make this
Put it in washing machine and the water was bright blue throughout the wash and now my hands are a lovely shade of blue from handling the wet fabric.
I will probably have to fix the dye before I make the dress, the last thing I need is blue legs.
Would you just wash it again and put some salt in the water or is there a better method.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

jintie

Re: Leaking denim
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 20:22:02 PM »
Janet, that sounds awful. Lucky you had the foresight to test it.
You need to keep removing the excess dye- you could put it in a bowl in the bath and run a thin stream of water on it. Or, if your washing machine has a rinse only cycle, use that til it squeezes clear water.
Rottweiler with scissors

Barcoded

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 22:57:24 PM »
Don’t forget an empty wash in the washing machine. There may well be dye in the washing machine pump sump
I think I have joined the 201 club

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 01:10:46 AM »
. . .Would you just wash it again and put some salt in the water or is there a better method.
Just keep Washing it until all the excess dye has gone. 

If you think the dye is leaking because of a faulty process then you can try to set the dye with a product like Rit Dye Fixative, but it can be hit and miss because you won't know what type of dye was used.
Salt doesn't 'fix' a dye, neither does vinegar.  They can be used in a dyeing process but not for fixing.
Read this summary
and
Can I set a dye
and
more useful information about dye

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:44:32 AM »
I had a similar problem a couple of days ago with some fat quarters of plain fabric. I always pre-wash and one of the deeper blues, not the deepest strangely, bled like mad and yes I had blue hands and oddly purply coloured selvedges.
That didn't really matter for my purposes but the real problem would be that the fabric is a bit heavier than normal and didn't bleed evenly. It came out all shaded and liney almost like a batik. Check your denim for paler lines or patches which could show up in a garment.
I washed on 'synthetics @ 30°' so not exactly a boil wash!!!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:04:47 AM »
Janet, that sounds awful. Lucky you had the foresight to test it.
You need to keep removing the excess dye- you could put it in a bowl in the bath and run a thin stream of water on it. Or, if your washing machine has a rinse only cycle, use that til it squeezes clear water.
it is now on it's 3rd rinse and the water is clear, will be able to tell in 20 mins if it has left it streaky.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
Fingers crossed for unstreaky!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 15:21:44 PM »
I've had a few problems with denim from Favourite Fabrics on Ebay.  First piece I bought, beige, no change, next a nice coral pink after the second wash became a light pink.  The grey colour I bought is now nearly beige in some lights and the turquoise has remained turquoise.  Thankfully nothing washed out on other things or signs of colour changes.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included