The Sewing Place

stretch collars

Alangus

stretch collars
« on: April 12, 2019, 21:14:55 PM »
This is really an update since a couple of people helped me with advice on this collar. I made a leotard with a stand up mandarin collar, in case anyone is interested this is what I did:

I drafted a mandarin collar as you would for woven fabric and split it at the CB and added a bit extra at the CB for seams etc. I made it with the same fabrics for lining the inside as the outside, though next time, because it is a bit bulky, I think I'd just use a stiff power net inside. The collar pieces are sewn RS to RS and under stitched along the top seam to the inside. All stitching was in ZZ.
I put the collar on to the main leotard applying a little stretch but not as much as I usually would for a full leotard collar. The I topstitched the collar seam allowance to the leotard, to help it stand up. It works nicely.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    

Marniesews

Re: stretch collars
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 23:57:03 PM »
This looks really distinctive @Alangus , I bet it looks bold on the floor. What have you used below the black mesh to get all those gold reflections?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Alangus

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
This looks really distinctive @Alangus , I bet it looks bold on the floor. What have you used below the black mesh to get all those gold reflections?

Hi,

Thanks, its a gold holographic microdot lycra, like a mystique. I got it from Trim It. It looks nice, think it would make a cool bomber jacket for me!!
Here is the costume so far, I think we are going to change it to skirted and add some fringe.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 14:29:12 PM »
Wow! That's stunning. And thanks for sharing what you've done. How does the back do up?
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Alangus

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 19:05:10 PM »
Wow! That's stunning. And thanks for sharing what you've done. How does the back do up?
Its a zip up the back to the nape and studs in the collar.  I was originally going to take the zip to the top but decided that might not be secure enough, would be a problem with hair and also at the thick collar seam, so I had to fold in the collar raw edges and attach studs. That has made it a bit bulky. I will probably unpick at the back of the collar and neaten this. The lovley people on the Spandex Dosent Scare me facebook forum suggested to use a stronger type of hooks and bars, or sew on transparent press studs.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 21:15:29 PM »
Wow @Alangus that is beautiful  :loveit:
Was Sewnanny

Alangus

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 19:22:44 PM »
Wow @Alangus that is beautiful  :loveit:
Thanks, I not entirely happy with the design. My daughter drew a rough design and then I did one on the computer, it looked good but sometimes you make something and once it is 3d and in the light it just doesn't work the way you expected!! I think it is probably because I didn't put it on a mannequin, and I was rushing a bit at the end :-)