The Sewing Place

Cotton Sateen and matching mesh fabric help pls!

Missie

Cotton Sateen and matching mesh fabric help pls!
« on: April 15, 2019, 15:17:55 PM »
My friend is getting married end of June and I'd like to make this to wear.  I watched Pretty Little Liars with DD and one of the characters wore this dress and I've loved it since than and always intended making it.  Spotted the pattern on Lekala and the what-to-wear-to-the-wedding issue was solved!

Anyway, I have 2 different pairs of shoes that I could wear that are in similar tones so I'm looking for a stretch cotton sateen with matching coloured mesh in either teal (blue or green) or petrol blue.  Very specific I know and I may be searching for the unicorn but I'm not finding anything yet.  Any ideas peeps on where to buy or even alternative fabrics.

Thanks muchly!

StitchinTime

Re: Cotton Sateen and matching mesh fabric help pls!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 16:44:00 PM »
These sounds like the sort of things that would be used for dance, where different fabrics in matching colours are required. Perhaps someone from the dancewear side of things could recommend suppliers.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 16:47:50 PM »
Abakhan always have mesh fabrics

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 16:52:31 PM »
Stretch sateen isn't easy to find!  Find that first and then look at Tia Knight for lycra power mesh
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 20:58:04 PM »
They call it turquoise but iT looks like teal to me. You could request a sample to be sure of the colour.

https://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/cotton-spandex-sateen-turquoise.html

Missie

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
@Francesca I had considered that, but a) I don't think I have a pot big enough for the dress fabric and would worry about getting an even colour and b) being as the fabrics would be different composite fibres, again I'd worry about them matching.

@BrendaP that's what I'm finding.  I was just thinking last night that maybe the cotton is the best idea as it will probably crease and although underlining would help, I'm not sure what I'd used with a stretch fabric. Maybe I'll need to change to a crepe  >< ><

@Manuela  thank you, I'd found those but they are not really the right shades, too light or too blue.  I need something yellow/warm based as I'm autumn colouring (yes I've had my colours done!), plus I really  really want to wear either of these shoes that I have  0_0

Will have a look at the other sites, thank you ladies for your suggestions.

Missie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 19:10:46 PM »
@Francesca  OOh that might work.  I'll have to take a picture of my shoes.  One pair has a greeny colour.  Which store was that in?  Wonder if they do samples?