The Sewing Place

Great source for sashiko quilted fabric for Kantha jackets

Acorn

Re: Loose fitting jacket pattern for beginner
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 14:32:15 PM »
@BrendaP made a lovely blue patchwork jacket - I know because I saved the picture into my inspirations folder.  I don't know what the pattern was, but maybe she could tell us...  :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 14:49:01 PM »
I didn't say I wouldn't, @Lowena , but you know how long it takes me to make anything.  You probably wouldn't want to wait that long.  I'm sure Iminei would make you one.  It's not as if she's got anything else to do apart from a baby quilt and a wedding quilt and....

Thanks, @Acorn.  I'll go and search.

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 21:33:25 PM »
@BrendaP made a lovely blue patchwork jacket - I know because I saved the picture into my inspirations folder.  I don't know what the pattern was, but maybe she could tell us...  :)

Do you mean this?  I think I used Butterick 6063.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Chosen because it has minimal shaping, just small side bust darts.  I don't like the collar as the pattern is, as it is so I hacked it about a bit and changed it to a plain round neckline (like the Beatles used to wear in the '60s) and forgot about the side vents but I did line it.    I chickened out of doing buttonholes and used frogging and toggles instead.

The patchwork is denim from old jeans - legs were cut wider then!  I cut 6" squares of denim and sewed them together to make pieces big enough for each pattern piece and then just winged it.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

Re: Great source for sashiko quilted fabric
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 14:59:42 PM »
Well done @jintie, we’ve got Pearl interested in making garments. Now we just need to convince @Lowena to make a green dress  :ninja:

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 15:57:54 PM »
Never!! I'm not clever, patient or accurate enough to make clothes :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

jintie

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 16:07:48 PM »
Let's not rush into this. Maybe we can have a sewalong Kantha/Sashiko/Wabi Sabi quilted jacket later on in the year? For me, there are a few things to learn first. Like getting a non-darted jacket to fit well. Also to make soft thin quilted fabric. Maybe, mods,  merge this with the simple jacket pattern thread?
Rottweiler with scissors

sewmuchmore

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 17:45:03 PM »
:S If you are patient and accurate enough to quilt then dressmaking will be a doddle.
Me, I am not clever, patient or accurate enough to quilt, especially the patient and accurate bits.
@Pearl gosh this website took me back to my hippy days. These used to be loads of shops in Leeds that sold this sort of thing for next to nothing. And don't get me started on Joss sticks.
@jintie do we have a link to the Oxfam page? I cannot see anything on their website.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 17:47:38 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

jintie

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 18:31:20 PM »
Janet, I saw one in the local Thornbury shop. Next time I am there I will take a photo.
Rottweiler with scissors

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 18:39:15 PM »
@sewmuchmore  i still have joss sticks  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Manuela

Re: Great source for sashiko quilted fabric for Kantha jackets
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 00:51:10 AM »
As @jintie suggested, I merged the two topics. I still have this silk pieced Kantha quilt to make a long-ish jacket or vest, so I might join you here.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Pearl

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2019, 06:01:58 AM »
Did you quilt this yourself, @Manuela ?  It is gorgeous.  Perfect for this project.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
Did someone once say they were sending for some ready quilted sashiko fabric from china? Sorry cannot remember who but they were going to make a jacket and I seem to remember the fabric was grey?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Manuela

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2019, 16:21:53 PM »
No @Pearl, I bought it in an Indian Emporium here in Hong Kong. The pieced top is silk, the under layer is cotton.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 16:35:07 PM »

Now for me, that would read 'I'm not clever, patient, or accurate enough to make patchwork'  :)

Efemera

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 16:39:58 PM »
Marcy Tilton has some lovely Kantha fabrics.. expensive but lovely
https://marcytilton.com/search?q=Kantha