The Sewing Place

Pink skirt using bamboo fabric

Silver Rose

Pink skirt using bamboo fabric
« on: April 15, 2019, 07:00:03 AM »
I've cut out the 8 panels for a summer skirt, it is lovely and soft and floaty, it might need lining as it is quite sheer but I'm not thinking polyester, that will be too sticky in the hot weather. I'll probably use a silk charmeuse or similar to balance the weight of fabric. I was going to cut out the navy blue linen using the same pattern but as it is quite heavy linen I changed my mind - I will start another thread about that. I also cut out a waistcoat with the last remaining metre of the blue and beige floral I made the summer suit out of, I had just enough left over bright blue lining for it. My sitting room looked like the set of GBSB for a couple of hours with stuff everywhere.
Still learning

b15erk

Re: Pink skirt using bamboo fabric
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:36:57 AM »
SR, that sounds lovely.  Look forward to seeing pictures.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:54 AM »
I got on well with the skirt yesterday, I've got to check the fit then sew the side seams after that I need to go and buy a suitable lining.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »
I've finished it and it is hanging up waiting for me to buy the lining, I think I mentioned charmeuse as a lining , I meant to say silk habotai. I popped in to Franklins after the dentist appointment yesterday but they only have habotai in white and I want pale pink or cream. I noticed that when I was pressing the side seams the rest of the skirt was very creased, so I smoothed the it  a bit with a cool iron and hung it up. After about an hour most of the creases had gone :) In the meantime I'll carry on with the waistcoat.
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:42:38 AM »
Photos! 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 19:40:37 PM »
Yes ma'am @BrendaP  I've taken a couple  on my phone, will post when on laptop tomorrow.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 06:54:35 AM »
I tried posting the photo whilst using my phone but didn't work. So here goes..
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  It is a very simple pattern, I traced it off a RTW skirt that I bought 15 years ago, I loved that skirt and when it started to look shabby I thought I'd try to recreate it, I never made a pattern before but it is very simple. I have made several in all types of fabric, some more successful that others. It will be mid-calf length eventually.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:56:09 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
I wish I could make useful things ... to wear specifically as I live in the same 2 sweatshirts and jog bottoms my entire life but alas (and alack) I think it is too late for me
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
It's never too late Iminei, I had a go at patchwork, not with a lot of success or finesse though. I love making clothes (and wearing nice things) and am getting better but I do sew quite simple styles. By the way it ns still hanging up waiting for me to get suitable lining fabric. I am working on a waistcoat made with the leftover metre or so from the blue and beige jacket and skirt. A waistcoat is an easy make unless you are on GBSB  ;) and get in a muddle with putting the lining in (elegantly called bagging).
Still learning

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
I wish I could make useful things ... to wear specifically as I live in the same 2 sweatshirts and jog bottoms my entire life but alas (and alack) I think it is too late for me

Didn't you used to make waistcoats Imi? 

lizzy x

snoozi soozi

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 19:23:28 PM »
For a long time I was terrified (don't know why) of making clothes and would only make cushion covers, window blinds etc. but once I started I got hooked. Give it a go, girl  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
On Wednesday I bought some lovely soft polyester habotai for the lining, silk was a bit too expensive, it would have cost more than the skirt.  I couldn't get pale pink so I've got white.It is cut out but that is all I've done.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
It is finished except for the hem of the lining, it is lovely to wear, it feels so light and silky, all I need is some hot and sunny weather to enjoy wearing it.
Still learning

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Sounds perfect for the summer weather.  From the earlier 'work in progress' photo, the skirt looks a lovely shape.  I like that flare  - is that called a 'trumpet' skirt?  Which pattern did you use?

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »
@SkoutSews , I drafted the pattern from a RTW skirt in a grey wool mix that I bought from New Look in about 2000, I'd been wearing the skirt for about 12 years before it got too tatty but I love the shape of it so I made my own pattern. I have made at least 8 versions in all sorts of fabrics from denim to the silk/linen mix. There are only 2 pieces so I cut 4 of one piece for centre front and back and 4 of the other for the 2 side fronts and backs, being very careful when pinning together to the correct pieces in place. I think I looked on the Internet for how to copy a RTW  then used the pin hole marking technique. It is a very simple shape which suits my figure.
Still learning