The Sewing Place

Navy linen dress McCalls 6028

Silver Rose

Navy linen dress McCalls 6028
« on: April 15, 2019, 07:07:06 AM »
I changed my mind and decided to make this dress instead of an eight panelled skirt. I have made it twice before about 5 years ago and liked it.  The linen is quite weighty and better suited to a dress I think and I could wear it with the blue floral jacket I have just made. I thought I had a pic of me in the dress but can't find it, this is the pattern envelope. I'll make view D with shorter sleeves.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:16:46 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Silver Rose

Re: Navy linen dress McCalls 6028
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
I've had a rootle around my photo folders on my laptop and I found a pic of the dress taken in 2013, I think the plain linen look better than a patterned fabric.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   I may have to make it a bit smaller across the bust but the other bits of me are the same 0_0
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:54:34 AM »
I finally got round to cutting the dress out yesterday. I 'm off out today so no sewing for me. More later.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
I got quite a bit done yesterday, I've sewn the back pieces together and the front except for the two yoke pieces, they are pinned ready to go.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »
The front and back pieces are both finished and I have made the all in one front and back facing and have pinned a contrasting bias binding in pale grey to finish the edge. Next I'll tack the sides together try on for fit, I've already made the back a bit narrower but I think the waist and hips area will be OK. I like this pattern, I'm already thinking of making another one with contrasting panels like the pattern illustration.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »
The neck facings are done, understitched and pressed, I tacked the side seams to check the fit, it looks OK, I had a second opinion on the fit which always helps. Going out for a walk later so will carry on sewing tomorrow.
Still learning

PollyWally

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 14:01:57 PM »
That's a lovely dress and it's nice to see the option of sleeves. Looking forward to seeing your latest version.

Morzel

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 16:00:31 PM »
silver rose, the 2013 dress looks good on you already. Looking forward to this new version!
Eva

gayle

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 20:56:06 PM »
Another voice looking forward to seeing your new dress SilverRose.  In solid navy, you'll get a lot of mileage out of that dress.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
I've now tacked the sleeves in place ready to sew today after a long interval. It is my friend's birthday this weekend so I'm planning to wear it with the blue floral jacket when I take him out to lunch, the picnic option is out because I'm still a bit wobbly and the weather forecast is for rain >< so a warm cosy pub beckons.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
Such a useful style of pattern.  I like the floral one.  Very summery.  But navy always looks smart I think. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
The sleeves went in OK but I need to take in the waist a bit, I'll wait a while because over the last 5 days I have lost about 4-5 lbs because I haven't been able to eat nornally, no bread, cheese, crisps or red wine :(.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 19:26:11 PM »
The sleeves went in OK but I need to take in the waist a bit, I'll wait a while because over the last 5 days I have lost about 4-5 lbs because I haven't been able to eat nornally, no bread, cheese, crisps or red wine :(.

:( :( :(
Hope it’s not too long before you can indulge again.  No cheese?   Noooooo.

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »
Just got the hem to do now, I'm happier with the fit, hope to wear it tomorrow for a lunchdate - with a coat and an umbrella  >:  >:). I can eat normally now :)
Still learning