The Sewing Place

Suddenly its go, go go

Iminei

Suddenly its go, go go
« on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »
My best friends lil girl had her first baby yesterday, a lil girl called Juno  so I have to finish the cuddle quilt I made earlier this year with a label which hopefully will include a picture of her as her Dad posted a fabulous one on FB

I have an inkjet printer and those ridiculously expensive fabric sheets that run through the printer ... Can someone tell me how to make the label/photo washable ??? Here's the pic I want to print

Does that sentence even make sense ???

Elvis will be out of his body bag later today too ...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:54:27 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

Re: Suddenly its go, go go
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »
Aaaaand of course the moment you need the ridiculously expensive photo fabric you cant find it!!! GAH!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
I've never tried printing onto fabric, let alone washing it, but have a read of this.
https://so-sew-easy.com/printing-on-fabric-washing/

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
I've got some of those fabric sheets, never dared use them as they are too expensive to waste!
From a quick look at Amazon questions on one item, it seems they will wash out.  Inkjet ink is water base, so not waterproof, laser printer inks are waterproof I believe, but no idea if you can get the fabric sheets - and this info is no use at all if you don't have a laser printer anyway!

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
That is a fabulous photo of a newborn! Usually you can barely see them. She looks very wise

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:47:52 AM »
Bless her heart, I hope she doesn't grow to be "Junoesque" but it's a pretty name  :loveit:
Can't help with printing other than to say..... inkjet ink will wash out   :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
What about getting it printed using one of the online fabric printing places?

Prinfab do swatches (20 x 20 cm) for £2.95 or fat quarters for £10-12 (depending on fabric).
Woven Monkey also offer swatches (£2.50 plus P&P) and fat quarters (£11-12).

Other UK suppliers are listed on the Sewing Directory.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Gorgeous picture.  I love unusual names!

Not sure if these are of any help, but I have saved these for my "something to try one day" bucket list!

http://www.love-to-sew.com/free-ebook-image-transfer-techniques/

I also follow a textile artist and I'm sure she has info on how to print onto fabric.  I've done a quick search and these have come up, but I've not read them to check for appropriateness (I searched under Linda Matthews printing on fabric).

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
Thank you Stitchintime, I will investigate that option!

Iminei

Advice needed
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 12:04:58 PM »
My lovely neighbours, Luke and Lucy are getting married this August after 30 years together! I think the impetus is they now have the wonderful Wren and i have (foolishly) said I would make them a quilt as a wedding present.

I asked them to look through my gallery and give me an idea what they like. I asked this last year but only last month did they get back to me on this and obvs ... tempus is not just fugitting but sprinting towards the finish line.

The two quilts they liked the most were The Opus (gulp)

and Jazmins quilt ...

Luckily both of these quilts were within my grasp so I asked Lucy to come round and have a look.
I steered her toward Jaz's quilt as that could (as I had with the original) be  QAYG!

I asked about colours and Lucy immediately said blues and greens, not bright colours but the muted sages and duck eggs and she said something very pertinent (I think) that she wanted it to look as though it had been passed down through the family! So who knew Lucy has an old fashioned heart!!

We also looked through the cushion swap gallery and she immediately latched onto Wrenkins beautiful heart cushion ...

soft blues and greys again.

Now to the advice ... HELP????? I have no idea what to do, but would like to include a hst heart somewhere within the quilt

Ive been playing with HSTs using light greys as  the light half of the HST's (which If I use these will be 4 " finished)

So I need ideas Please?????

wrenkins

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
Four heart blocks in the centre to form a four leafed clover? The sashing could be used to separate  them. Or hearts along the bottom where you have squares on Jasmin's Pink with their points towards the mid-line? The hearts would maybe need to be slightly darker overall to stand out. I shaded mine from left to right but you can only really see it if you squint or if I tell you it's there.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
I have used that fabric that you print on directly.  As far as I recall you swill it around in cold? water after printing (it's in the instructions) and let it dry.  The print is then fast.  It would be worth printing a couple of extra bits on one of the sheets for testing out the colour fastness.
I've only used it to make labels.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
Thx SIT I have ordered a 20 x 20 swatch from pinfab ...

I think the pic will be centred and about 14" x 10" which is all I really need for next to the label isnt it ????
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:59:25 AM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 14:36:25 PM »
Well it looks as though you will be making a lot of HSTs, whatever you do.

It's the contrast which makes or breaks most quilts, so my advice is to get yourself a goodly selection of medium-dark blues and greens; sage, Wedgwood, denim/indigo, teal etc etc and also a good selection of lights.  If she wants it to look family heirloom rather than pristine modern I'd suggest cream, beige, off-white rather than sparkling bright white.  Very pale sage, duck egg will add a bit of variety.

If you base it on Jazmin's quilt you could put the hearts at the bottom without too much difficulty with the numbers; you just have to make the (finished) sizes of the squares in the hearts half the (finished) size of the others.  That way you'll get 4 hearts across the bottom, and 4 hearts across the top.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 17:20:33 PM »
Jaz's quilt  measure 80 x 60 (across) so I only have to add 10 extra inches each side for a double.

Jaz's HSTs were 5" finished ... the HSTs Im playing with are 4" finished.

The lights in the pic are greys and a pale, pale grey blue ..

How do we feel about the lights ??
Patterned?
plain ???
all one colour ??
or a few very pale soft tones?

I think a trawl through my stash and then a visit to a good (thinking Midsomer) quilt shop for a FQ raid.