The Sewing Place

Suddenly its go, go go

Lowena

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 18:01:57 PM »
Similar to Jasmine's quilt with hearts where the diamonds are.
Is there a reason for 4" squares rather than 5" ones?
Big contrasts but not bright white as it would look too stark with more muted tones, I'd pick a very fashionable plain pale grey, all the same fabric.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

Re: Suddenly its go, go go
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:17 AM »
I printed on fabric to make a cushion a couple of years ago. After printing I made sure the ink was completely dry before rinsing the fabric gently in cold water. The colour still leached out of it very badly. :S I tried several times but with the same poor result. Eventually I found that tweaking the colour saturation of the photo in the computer before printing helped. The colour still faded badly on rinsing but because it had been far too saturated beforehand, it looked reasonable afterwards IYSWIM.  :[

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

Re: Suddenly its go, go go
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:07 AM »
That's beautiful Kenora ... I ordered from an online site and will post here when I receive it.

Its always unnerving making for someone as you cant really know if they will like the colours, design etc but surely with that beautiful pic of their baby on the back they are going to like it?

And Im in double trouble at the moment, making a wedding quilt as well ... Well I'm still at the thinking stage of it.

Junos quilt is actually made and its just the back and label to be pieced before layering and quilting.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:51 AM »
Is there a way where you can use different sizes of HST or is the Maths too problematic?

So all the same light fabrics ??? Or a mix of pales?

I must tidy the sewing/art.wardrobe/spare room maybe I can find some blues/teals and that photo fabric!

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
Is there a way where you can use different sizes of HST or is the Maths too problematic?

If the pairs of HSTs are  4"x4" finished the heart as in Wrenkins' cushion will be 20" x 20".  That would fit neatly at the end of 4 strips of 5"x5" HST squares.  It won't be a problem if you either:
 Separate the hearts and the strips with sashing,
 or
 Keep the strips in the regular order but make sure the hearts all face the same way so that they remain separate to look like hearts and not a "half shamrock"
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
Big contrasts but not bright white as it would look too stark with more muted tones, I'd pick a very fashionable plain pale grey, all the same fabric.

That would look classy.  Maybe not so traditional, but still very nice.  Depends a bit on what stash Imi has, and what she would need to buy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »
???????????????

and colours Oh Goddess ??? for the lights?

All the same fabric? Plain? Patterned?

For the darks? Plain? Patterned?

Sorry to be so needy :(

(there are reasons Im like this at the mo)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:08:26 AM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
My way of doing things is usually to gather together as many different fabrics in the chosen colour group as possible - blenders, small all-overs, batiks, swirly and blodgy hand-dyes etc with not too many plains.  Often the exact colour scheme is determined by what is in stash and the additional supplies complement that.

The recipient has indicated that she likes blues and turquoise etc.  Sort out what you have in those colours in medium-dark tones.  Gather them all together and decide whether they look best against silver grey, pale blue or cream, then collect together as many fabrics as you can find from that chosen group. 

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »
Off I go then, Into my newly tidied sewing/art/wardrobe/spare room (actually I can stop calling it the last as there has never been a bed in there)

Will this be the shortest time my room looks tidy ??????

And then as I was tidying I found this ...
pattern ... and as Im looking at it thinking Ooooh thats nice, I am wondering Why am I trying to make this more dificult for myself ????

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 09:45:20 AM »
I've just been prompted, by another thread, to look at your gallery.  There's a blue valentine heart wall hanging which I believe is the twin sibling to my lovely pink Christmas all year wreath wall hanging.

That would be another way of adding hearts to the bottom of this quilt.  There's a bit of background around that one so it would remain separate even without sashing.

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
You're quite right Brenda it is the same technique but blooming eeeenormous!

Right upstairs and down I'll come with my blues box!

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:42 AM »

And then as I was tidying I found this ...
pattern ... and as Im looking at it thinking Ooooh thats nice, I am wondering Why am I trying to make this more dificult for myself ????

Personally I prefer Jazmin's quilt - and cutting HSTs is, IMO, easier than cutting those eqilatoral 60 degree triangles!

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
Personally I prefer Jazmin's quilt - and cutting HSTs is, IMO, easier than cutting those eqilatoral 60 degree triangles!

Totes agree.
Pleeease @Iminei whatever you choose, do make sure you have enough of each fabric......I'd hate you ho have apoplexy later on in the project  :*
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
Well It seems I dont have that much old fashioned fabrics and of that blue/grey blue shade.

I have taken a few pics of what I have got here  for your delectation ...

The small bunch of fabrics below the main strata are some newly bought Andover fabrics from the bijou range which is what the already sewn HSTs are made from

Oh Why did I have to go offer ????   :S
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:31:02 AM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »
Most of those are fine.  I would take out the yellow, the one to the left of it and the two to the left.  If you need to buy more go more for duck-egg, teal, turquoise.  The creams and greys are sitting together nicely.

I'd be a bit wary of the fabric with the zig-zagy design.  Parts of it read quite dark and parts read quite light, but in biggish chunks.  Unless you can cut nearly all light or nearly all dark it will throw the balance out.