The Sewing Place

Suddenly its go, go go

Iminei

Re: Suddenly its go, go go
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2019, 17:32:26 PM »
I nearly always machine blanket stitch the binding down,

The answers in the sentence Pearl!!!!

I initially attach to the back or front depending on the quilt; where I want the bulk of the binding to lie, whether the stitching will interfere with the pieced top (generally not a problem with a bordered quilt) etc etc etc
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kitten

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2019, 18:29:07 PM »
Lovely, what a lucky baby.

Iminei

Re: Suddenly its go, go go .... Wedding Quilt
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2019, 07:43:28 AM »
OK, Back to the wedding quilt and any advice on how to get a random look for the HST's ???

I now have over 200 odd HSTs (5" sq), one stack of star background and the other of flower background

I also have the two hearts (5 x 4") ready to be inserted into the top two quarters

So any ideas on how to get a truly random (shudders) mix? @BrendaP  ???

Linky
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:47:14 AM by Iminei »

wrenkins

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
The Wrenkins tried and trusted method of randomicity is carefully place the items one by one (important) in a tumble dryer (or plastic bag if you don't have a TD), turn it on/shake the b'jaysus out of it.
Lift them out one at a time and do not tamper with the order. Truly random is hard to achieve because often you will get groups of 'same ones'. Leave them be (unless they're really bad  :S)!

I had to send for my arty friend to randomize my kitchen tiles.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »
I dont think I could do that ... my brain wouldnt let me!  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »
Yes, @wrenkins is right.  Cut a batch of triangles, jumble them all up, especially important if you cut several layers at a time, then put them into a bag/box or whatever your chosen container is, then without looking just put your hand inside said container and pick out two pieces to join together.  The only rule is to put them back if it happens that two the same come out together.

Repeat the excercise for joining the resulting squares, again only put back if you would be forced to join two pieces of the same fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »
The HST are already made @BrendaP  (please look at pic/refer to link and look at last pic)

wrenkins

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
I dont think I could do that ... my brain wouldnt let me!  :S
I know that feeling...but you must.
Same goes for your squares as @BrendaP says. Only put 'em back if you'd have to join two sames.
The first time you do it, it's like standing on the high board and looking over!  :o You're so conditioned to those two little piles of tidiness that random is alien!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
The question is whether you really want true randomness, or a more pleasing pattern that looks random, but is actually quite controlled.

How about making piles of squares in the different fabrics (ie each pile has the same combo) and taking one from each, not in order, but making sure you use the piles at the same rate.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2019, 22:13:30 PM »
The HST are already made @BrendaP  (please look at pic/refer to link and look at last pic)

OK, the HSTs are all sewn together in pairs to make squares one half blue/green and one light.

Jumble those squares up and take them at random to make the blocks or strips.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2019, 07:52:27 AM »

Iminei

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2019, 17:36:11 PM »
100 Shades Quilt

Today I went to Midsomer on the search for the backing fabric for this behemoth of a quilt!

We've worked out I need 5ms regular width fabric (gulp   :S) or 2 1/2m extra wide ...
Two hours later I was no further on (and the prices  :o ... my recent singularity is beginning to bite home)

So I took loads of pics and need  YOUR help Ladies ... It may be none of these are right, please pipe up if this is the case, also if you have any other ideas .... Please!

100 shades album

wrenkins

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2019, 17:53:20 PM »
I love the City Nights and even considered buying some of the copper on grey 'blender' just to look at. I'd go with that.  :loveit: You could use any of that range with the colours you have on the front.

Sandra

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2019, 17:53:52 PM »
Right....

I love the B&W Effervescence, but don't think it's right for this.
Like the look of the Japanese woven but it might be a bit too plain.
Quite like the black and grey spot, and I also quite like the Japanese waves. It's a shame about the true colour of the Moda Basic Grey...it really does look fab in the picture.

Feel free to ignore me. I'm not a quilter. (I'm OK at sewing bits of fabric together)  :P

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2019, 18:05:49 PM »
@Sandra don't sell yourself short. You have a great eye for colour. Your BOMs were always gorgeous!  :loveit:
I still have those Oakshott lookie likie jelly rolls that are similar colours to this so hopefully I'll get some quiltspiration.  :)