The Sewing Place

Suddenly its go, go go

Kad

Re: Suddenly its go, go go
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2019, 18:33:22 PM »
@Iminei
I often use cotton sheeting as a quilt backing, either bought by the metre or as a king size flat sheet (or larger). My children always asked for quilts backed with flannelette sheeting as they loved the cuddly softness which gets better with washing.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

fajita

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2019, 18:40:05 PM »
I love the cityscapes. Not least because it then makes your quilt reversible. Two for one, as they say.

Iminei

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2019, 18:46:35 PM »
copper on grey 'blender'

?????? @wrenkins

I love the B&W Effervescence, but don't think it's right for this.

Exactly my thoughts ... too graphically black and white ... no actual grey!

Like the look of the Japanese woven but it might be a bit too plain.

Maybe

Quite like the black and grey spot, and I also quite like the Japanese waves.

It's a shame about the true colour of the Moda Basic Grey...it really does look fab in the picture.

Doesn't it just ... but there really is a beige tone in reality ... Bugger aa I said!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 18:51:24 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2019, 18:53:08 PM »
@Sandra don't sell yourself short. You have a great eye for colour. Your BOMs were always gorgeous!  :loveit:

Thank you, @wrenkins  that's kind of you to say so. I'm learning on the colours...you know how it is? Sometimes things go together much better than expected.
And sometimes...hmmm....not so well.  ><

But I still say I'm not a quilter...all that sandwiching and all that stitching  :S  My machines not the correct spec to allow anything big and bulky through the harp, and I really can't justify spending close to £100 on a walking foot to make life easier.
And, lol, lol lol  0_0  to hand stitching the quilting. NO. WAY.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2019, 19:04:06 PM »
Yes. Copper on grey from the City Nights range, not from your choices.
This one.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2019, 19:31:29 PM »
I never bother about the backing fabric. I either use a sheet or just choose something I like..... it's only the back after all  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Puzzler

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2019, 19:54:00 PM »
If it were mine, I would most likely choose one of the brighter colours in the quilt and back it with that. If feeling adventurous, I might consider a pieced back with large blocks or strips in the various colours from the quilt top.

Lilian

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2019, 20:07:45 PM »
I like

I - RK multi-colour effervescence the best
but my second would be:

D - Japanese wave print or
E - L&I City nights

Depends on your mood, I think my first choice would be bright and cheerful  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

supergran

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2019, 21:39:12 PM »
My favourite would be the Japanese wave, or the bright Jewel effervescence.

Kenora

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2019, 00:33:47 AM »
I don't think we're helping, as we're all going for something different. I love the Moda but if you say the colour isn't good in "real life" then that's not going to be much help. Coming a close second, I would choose the black and grey spot. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
I don't think we're helping, as we're all going for something different.
I was thinking the same thing @Kenora. Maybe we should give our reasons why!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
@wrenkins  ... Ever outside the box!  :o

Have you got this fabric ... Is that how you know about it?
I'll have to see if I can get a sample sent to me.

@Puzzler  ... That is a thought, but I dont want it to detract from the front, which is why the multi coloured effervescence, tho' perfect in its own right (and perfectly £££££!!!!) isnt my choice.

Ill have a rootle through my (embarrassingly large .... Oooh errr Missus !!!) stash and see what I come up with.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »
Just to add to the confusion, I'd go for the black and grey spots. I think the juxtaposition of the shapes front and back would work well and it would allow the quilting to shine.

Missie

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
OK, for cheapness, I would probably consider a dark grey cotton sheet, but out of the ones you've highlighted, I love the Japanese woven.  There is enough in it for interest, but is plain enough not to detract from the front of the quilt, and is dark enough to go with the front and is vaguely a similar style pattern to the front (graphic, is that the right word? Angular, straight, not curvy).

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:57:05 AM by Missie »

wrenkins

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2019, 08:41:53 AM »
@Iminei I veh veh nearly added it to my last order as a possibility for my OSLL (Oakshottlookielikie) jelly rolls but I'm trying to cut back.  :S Pity I didn't, I could have sent you some.
I'm trying to learn Doughties entire stock so I can show off at parties!  8)  :[