The Sewing Place

Suddenly its go, go go

Iminei

Re: Suddenly its go, go go
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2019, 18:53:04 PM »
I am soooooo happy to step away from the machine!

After 9 hours of quilting on one quarter ... Thank you ladies for your advice.

As the lady in question specifically said she wanted it to look as though it had been 'handed down through the generations' .. I dont think she would be too put out by a bit of wrinkle!

Layered the last two quarters today and stabilised them too ...

Not too happy with the layering of one of them ... They are a complete bastard to layer because of lining up the 'swimmers' with the border but its done and I shall I hope be extra careful when quilting that quarter.

So hours and hours of quilting to go ... Wish me luck (or send me audibles)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
Three Quarters quilted, just one more to go!!! Woo Hoo

But I do have a small problem ... with the backing. As I mentioned earlier the layering was a bugger to do ...

firstly they are really large quarters ... I laid them out on my bed yesterday and they completely cover it ... (so thats good as I found out from Luke yesterday that they have a Queen sized bed ????)

But also because as the backing fabric was the standard 42" width and the tops measure 40" PLUS the background border  I had to improvise. Luckily I had the fabulous Trapeze Artist fabric from Lewis and Irene in a perfect match of colours so added an outside border  to all 4 quarters ... cue much fiddling around to get the top and bottom Trapeze artists to be the same way up etc etc.

Then I thought should I use the full width of the Trapeze Artist fabric that I had cut on the back (which would be 4 1/2" finished) or should I marry it up with the outer borders on the front (which will be 2 1/2" finished) ???

Some devil inside of me then piped up and said ... Ooooh Go for the most difficult way and match them up!!!    :devil:

So after much faffing around I decided to hand sew the borders together along the seam line in Bright Red thread so that line will remain constant during the layering process (hopefully)

After all that we finally got all four of the quarters layered BUT due to some F*** up, the backing fabric on one of the bottom edges of one of the quarters doesnt quite cover the top ....

linky

It looks like the fabric wasn't cut quite straight and I needed to use all of the 4 1/2 metres (!!!!) that I had bought!
Im also not too impressed with the layering but after ripping the layers apart twice we just went with almost good enough... Its very heavily quilted and I dont think it looks too bad, but its not to my usual standard.

So my bad, I should have checked.
I should have straightened the edges.
I should have bought more yardage.

But it is what it is so I must put my big Girls knickers on and sort it!

Options.

Simplest Solution .... I could cut 1/2" off the bottom border

Would I then need to trim the top borders too ???
And the side borders ????

Discuss!

Next Solution .... I have already cut an extra wide binding (I love a chunky binding)

It currently measures 2" wide (folded).
I could attach to front, turn to back and hope that it covers the uncovered bits of the back.

Problem ... The backing fabric is fraying slightly along that edge ... Again makes me think it was taken off the bolt and not straightened up. For me to be happy with this solution I would want at least 3/4" of binding on the reverse of the quilt.

I dont really want to spend any more on this quilt for obvious reasons (and I am going to be totaling this one up later) Otherwise I could buy some more of the binding fabric and cut it extra extra wide!

So there you go my Darling Darksiders ... Put your thinking caps on and please let me know what you would do, what you think the best solution would be

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:18:21 AM by Iminei »

rubywishes

« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2019, 08:34:50 AM »
Im, I would trim the bottom and take the same amount off the top to balance it. It seems like the simplest and most bomb-proof solution to me.

It would be awful to go to the trouble of putting your extra wide binding on and despite all your care and effort find that the overlap is pretty minimal and then you're gonna worry about whether it will eventually "all go to hell in a hand bag" after "x" number of washes and use. Just my thoughts and keep in mind I am "Queen of the Doom and Gloom Brigade"....I can imagine  self-caused catastrophe in any scenario!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
I would trim the bottom, then trim the top to balance it. You will then be able to tell whether the sides will need trimming also.
You could of course bodge it and stick a label over the weak / ill fitting / fraying part  :devil: ( not really! ;) )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
Your linky is blocked for me again.

I too always seem to decide on something that makes life difficult.
Life's too short for ironing.

Missie

« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »
Your linky is blocked for me again.

I too always seem to decide on something that makes life difficult.

And me!

b15erk

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2019, 12:39:58 PM »
Me too!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2019, 17:01:38 PM »

Iminei

« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2019, 17:06:13 PM »
I went to my friend at the sewing school and asked  for her opinion.

She thought the extra wide binding would conceal all .....
soooooo I shall trim down to the front borders and see whether that would be so ... if it is Hooray!

If not I shall think again.

I also asked a question about the faceting of the hearts which I shall finish this weekend.
The end is nigh, Girls and Im really really pleased with how its going!!!!

Iminei

« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2019, 11:16:13 AM »
OK Here we are 3/4s done in fact more than 3/4's as the 2nd heart has been faceted.

I was unhappy with the first hearts quilting as I felt the inner facets turned the outer facets into a jumble but I have had a brainwave and quilted the inner (fainter) facets with a holographic white thread from my big bumper box.

I then unpicked the first hearts inner facets and re-quilted them with the same thread ... I quite like this look!

Pics later.

Iminei

« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2019, 15:26:05 PM »
Right Ho Pics ..

Details of the Hearts Faceting ...

Dont know if you can make out the sparkly thread but its there.

All four quarters laid out

and reverse

in which you can see exactly nothing Grrr.... After all the trouble to line up the fandango dancers with the outer borders ... They dont even notice! BUT you can see the deficit of backing fabric on the bottom right as you look at it!!
Hopefully the extra wide binding will cover it!

Ive put sewing away for today and will start fresh tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 15:30:01 PM by Iminei »

Missie

« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2019, 16:21:37 PM »
@Iminei that is beautiful.

Celia

« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2019, 21:43:57 PM »
This quilt is lovely the detail on the hearts it beautiful

Acorn

« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2019, 22:00:05 PM »
That is really beautiful - they're very lucky!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2019, 00:14:11 AM »
The quilting distance for that batting is 8”, so time to check your hypotenuses :-)

If my maths is correct you should be OK to leave the quilting as it is as the longest edge will be just over 7”.

And that means that the apez of the triangle to the centre of the hypotenuse is just over 3.5 inches so well within the minimum distance.  Leave it as it is.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.