The Sewing Place

What a Palaver!

Greybird

Re: What a Palaver!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 16:21:27 PM »
What a lovely dress. Nice fabric and worth all your efforts. Doesn't look too long at all.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 16:48:31 PM »
Thank you GB!  I like it  :)

I'm going to put it on the Stashbust Thread though because I've had the fabric for years and years, and only ever made a T shirt from it!

I'll finish it off tonight, and take a decent photo.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 19:23:05 PM »
That’s looking pretty good Jessie.  I’d use the coverstitch. Don’t like twin needle but that’s just me!
Did you add width at the sides?  If so, that would affect the armhole. 
I usually say woven patterns for woven fabric and knit patterns for knit fabric.  You can see why! 
Even with those rules, you can come unstuck. You can make something in one fabric which fits lovely. Make again in something heavier or lighter and darts can be in the wrong place, lengths all wrong etc.  And knits are a particular headache.  If you make toiles, it’s often difficult to make one in a similar weight and drape so you have to use a bit of guesswork.

Glad that site was helpful.  There are loads videos on fitting and pattern work there. All very good.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 19:28:41 PM »
That's right nice n summery @b15erk, perfect for hols, the length looks ok to me, it suits you
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 19:44:00 PM »
That's looking good, pleased to hear you sorted it out.

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 20:30:12 PM »
Thanks to @b15erk and @Ohsewsimple, that work book and the videos seem very helpful.

Jessie highlighted the problem and OSS provided a solution.

The dress is looking good and I hope you have a wonderful holiday, you really deserve it!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 20:36:04 PM »
You’re welcome @Ellabella.  Enjoy!

annieeg

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 23:25:08 PM »
That's Lovely Jessie :)
Bonnes Vacances.
Annie x

Missie

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
Ooh I like that, it is lovely and really suits you.  I think the bra conversion will work perfectly with that V-back.

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
That is lovely fabric, done well with the alterations etc., you have patience I haven't got.

It amazes me really, that a pattern that is obviously a very old one, still looks good in the 21st century and doesn't look out of date. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
I've just come back from town where I got a lovely orange belt for my dress, which will match perfectly with my purse and orange sandals (if they were ever to be worn together!).  :)

OH thinks it's 'lovely' high praise indeed - although he did only turn his head away from the football for half a second!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
What gorgeous fabric Jessie, and a lovely looking dress, just in time for your holiday.  You mentioned about lining the bodice, well you can always do this once your holiday is over if you feel it needs this.

Now why is it when I go looking for a printed knit fabric there is not much around short of buying this on line.

Silver Rose

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 13:58:21 PM »
It is lovely, just right for a sunny holiday, have a super time.
Still learning