The Sewing Place

What do I do now? Please help.

Pearl

What do I do now? Please help.
« on: April 15, 2019, 15:14:14 PM »
As the Mystery Quilt is within a gnat's whisker of being pieced, I've been thinking about the backing and, as I still love this quilt and it's ten days until I can get to the Cotton Patch for wadding, I thought I'd piece the backing but how?  I'm planning to quilt it by hand using big stitch quilting and will probably quilt it more than I usually do (because it's usually Christmas Eve, the day before someone's birthday, the morning of the FoQ when I'm quilting). 

As usual, I'm finding it difficult to come to a decision so here's what I have.

The quilt top about 48" squarish

2m x wof purple batik which I bought to be the backing of this quilt at FoQ the year before last (not big enough on its own) and 12 four patches left over from when fabrics 2 and 5 swapped over

About 1m of the teal background fabric, 1/2m of the feature fabric, less of the other fabrics

I was thinking of making more blocks like clue 5 but using different fabrics with the background fabric and making a strip to go within the purple batik.

Do you think that would work?  Does the batik even go? 

Lowena

Re: What do I do now? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 16:17:34 PM »
Yes and Yes  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 16:41:51 PM »
The total area of the purple batik is sufficient on its own to make the backing for a quilt 48" x 48".  The problem is that it's not the right shape and will have to be pieced.

Whilst it's nice to use something on the back relating to the design on the front it not essential. 

If you intend to hand quilt the fewer seams on the back the better as it can get really quite hard on the hands to keep pushing the needle through multiple layers of seams.

The easiest way to get a balanced backing with minimum seams is to cut enough lengthways from the batik to give you 3"-4" extra either end, about 54"-56".  Slice it down the middle and add a strip about 8"-10" wide, cut from one of the other fabrics, down the middle.  You'll probably have to have a join in the middle of that strip.  If you really want to use the extra blocks place them in the middle of the centre strip.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 17:00:19 PM »
Thanks, @BrendaP .  That's what I'll do.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 17:09:15 PM »
So pleased to see this progressing Pearl .... <3
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 17:15:08 PM »
Love the colours and well done for getting to this stage. My top is still in a box under the cutting table, hadn't even thought about backing etc.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 17:24:00 PM »
Your top is finished, @maliw ?  I haven't even got that far.  2019 is the year of finishing, though.  One down, eight to go.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 17:28:43 PM »
Yes I finished the top when we did the quiltalong but that was it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 22:33:34 PM »
That plan for the back looks absolutely fine. :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.