The Sewing Place

Electric scissors

Sewingsue

Re: Electric scissors
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 17:39:31 PM »
@Elnnina would one of those continental adaptor plugs work?
The ones they sell for use on holiday.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 19:04:51 PM »
I did try them but couldn't get on with them, It felt like they were in control instead of me   :S

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 22:40:42 PM »
Ooo, lots more to look at! Not sure I'd want a rotary electric - might be a bit hard to control!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
Thank you Sewingsue, I will have to go looking at these as we certainly do not have one.  My daughter returns from her latest trip to Vietnam over the weekend, she may well have one and then I can perhaps try it out.  I must admit I have thought of perhaps having the cable changed to a much longer one and then a UK square plug put on, however  after watching the video that Jessie linked to, wondered about the blades going blunt, these scissors are quite old, in fact ancient by today's standard and had been well used - so there is a chance that they either do not work or the blades are blunt.

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
I use the Black and Decker ones listed in another link if I use them or have a lot of cutting to do.  They took a bit of getting used to (like 2 skirts) but were easy enough.  I still sometimes use regular shears for detail work or when I tailor.  I don't know why tailoring makes a difference, but it does.

I also have an electric knife, the rotary looking machine.  I don't use it often...I find I use that the most for bridal wear and all the long lines and curves, which for that is a lifesaver.

The B&D I've had for years, but they are discontinued and I have not been able to find replacement blades.  I got it used from a lady who hated them for 50 or so, and the electric knife for $125.  Honestly, I've paid more for actual scissors.