The Sewing Place

SWAKOP - Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - 1.05. - 31.10.2019

SewRuthieSews

Re: SWAKOP - Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - 1.05. - 31.10.2019
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 13:15:56 PM »
@Manuela, great thank you for that clarification.

I'll use the Safari side to make some pieces to go with a lovely olive/sage faux suede jacket I don't wear but would like to, and the teal stripes side can have a Style Arc cardigan I've already made.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 17:10:46 PM »
Well I have to be careful not to get too far into the warm browns and greens as that doesn't work with my colouring, but a soft greeny grey can serve for the 'khaki' elements and the animal prints can be ivory and cool brown.

So probably trousers and skirt in the greeny grey and a top and dress in animal print knit with the RTW jacket which still has the tags on. Its a faux suede greeny grey with a waterfall front and very soft to wear. A little capsule to get more some wear from it would be fantastic.

Starryfish

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
I think I may enter this SWAKOP, it seems doable for me.
Group One- Aubergine crepe dress
                 Ivory top
                 ?light purple top
                 Aubergine trousers ( already sewn)

Bridging Garment- Chanel Style Jacket in Linton Tweed- Ivory with red,navy,aubergine check.

Group Two- Navy trousers (already sewn)
                 White Dress
                 Navy Skirt or Dark denim jeans
                 l/s Blouse ? toning print

I was already going to make the jacket and dresses, as I need these for meetings. This will update my meeting wardrobe, and go with lots of existing stuff. Off to make a moodboard and start my own thread.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Kwaaked

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »
Am I the only one having a huge issue with the color as a theme?  I imagine when I get to actually pulling fabrics and working on the designs, I may not be quite so perplexed, but right now it's like ugh.

So I have orange/navy and lime or citrus/navy and navy as bridge.  But....I keep having black pop up (I have a fabric that is black with orange sequins that is lovely that is screaming at me) and the fact that I am in a course to make traditional Indian garments and all that color to be part of the issue.

treefrog

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 07:31:47 AM »
I'd like to join in.  I've also been participating in SWAP 2019 and have started looking toward some winter wear.
The rules sound quite flexible.  I'm thinking along the lines of winter and spring capsules, or perhaps a 'work and play' theme.
Kwaaked - Your colour scheme sounds great.  I love orange and navy together
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:34:34 AM by treefrog »

Kwaaked

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
It's one of my go to combinations.  I don't wear a lot of black in general, unless it's an accent.

I'm working on it right now since I can't sleep, actually.  Well this, a summer 6 pac and floral.

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place @treefrog, good to see you here.

warpjr1965

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 02:58:11 AM »
Just finished SWAP, and I'll for sure take a short break, but I have at least 4 garments planned that could extend my SWAP and fit for SWAKOP too.

thinking of Pink and Ivory, maybe black as color groups. Bridge garment would be a pink tweed jacket. Hmm. I like this already.

We'll see if I have it in me. I really want to get the jacket done regardless. Perhaps I'll start there?
Wendy

renita

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 02:57:51 AM »
@Kwaaked I'm also struggling a bit with 'colour theme', but I'm putting that down to me originally interpreting colour theme to be a single colour - so 4-5 garments in one colour and 4-5 garments in another colour then a bridging garment.  I can now see that people are, more sensibly, picking a broader colour range within their themes.

I love the sound of @SewRuthieSews's very different colour groupings and @Starryfish's aubergine and navy groups, and your first group should look great @Francesca - looking forward to seeing what you pair it with.

I may still be crazy and go for largely the same colour in each group, to give me some 'cores of four', a la TheVivienneFiles capsule wardrobe rules.

One group will be based around chocolate - hoping for some dressy pants or skirt and a dressy top, suitable for funerals.  I don't wear black and my clothes are quite casual, so need to have something on hand for such emergencies.

The other might be soft mushroom brown, or some sort of muted red/rust/brick-ish sort of colour.  Still early days - we have 6 months to go...

Kwaaked

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 04:59:08 AM »
Oh I gave up on "colour" and just am going with what the heck I want to, to be honest.  Once I get some of it nailed down, I'll reassess how it fits in the contest.

Pretty much I have lights, darks and neutrals.  Which is just like, how basic can on be?   :[  At least this is where I am starting out from on my end with working with everything.

But it serves.  I can have the orange, lime/citrus and pink, then the black, navy and olive and then the gold and creams.  Requires 2 bridge garments, however.  So it's like group A + bridge + group B + bridge + Group C. * 

Now...I haven't gotten anywhere other then 2 fabrics I want to use that do not match each other, or anything else.  When I pull fabric, these may wind up just being orphans to the contest, although they match the wardrobe well enough.  Early days, yet.  I got the summer 6 pack I'm working on and the McQueen jacket patterned from another thread, plus I have to start on my daughter's school clothes.

LOL, color is still kind of an issue.  But I usually don't actually enter the contests even when I make stuff, so I'm going to go do my own thing and see where it leads me.

*Thank my son...he talked me out of the multi colored monster coat.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 07:09:04 AM »
@renita I have found sewing a core 4 to actually be quite useful.

I have full or partial versions in dark brown, dark teal, navy and dark burgundy now. I particularly like the inner column of 3/4 sleeve knit top and full length trousers with a contrasting layering piece and jewellery.
It also works with texture or stripe in the bottom and some print/stripe/pattern in the top as long as its fairly subtle.

The main thing I do with my sewing these days is to think in outfits so I don't end up with orphans.

Where things are hard to match I found a few things really extend the wardrobe like white or ivory tops, a denim jacket, plain black trousers, dark wash jeans etc.

renita

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
@SewRuthieSews I think you've convinced me to stay on the path of single colours.  I think I'll get a lot of use out of the inner column you describe. 

I've recently started weaving again and am looking to incorporate more hand-woven garments in my wardrobe.  Having solid colour garment columns to go with them will be perfect.  It's likely that my bridging garment will be handwoven - some sort of tunic most likely. 

@Francesca - good plan with the denim jacket, sounds very versatile.

renita

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »
@Francesca, forgot to say - great croquis work.  Are they you?  If so, I want your legs.   :D

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 14:29:51 PM »
@renita , colour can be interpreted very loosely, Francesca’s SWAKOP is a good example there. @Kwaaked, you colour themes could be neons and darks, absolutely no problem.

renita

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 07:09:29 AM »
Thanks @Manuela, I may decide to loosen up my own colour themes as my plans take shape and I dig through the stash to see what I've got to work with.

It's great that the rules are really adaptable. I love that we can all come up with wardrobes that suit our own needs while still fitting into the guidelines you've provided.  Thanks for organising this again this year.