The Sewing Place

SWAKOP - Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - 1.05. - 31.10.2019

wrenkins

Re: SWAKOP - Sewing With A Kind Of Plan - 1.05. - 31.10.2019
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:19 AM »
@Renegade Sewist!!!! Where ya been?!?!?!?!?!
Good to see you.  :flower:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kenora

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Good to see you posting again @Renegade Sewist . :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Manuela

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2019, 14:13:39 PM »
Today being the 15th, I am participating in SWAKOP.  :fish:

Welcome back  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2019, 16:08:14 PM »
@Renegade Sewist so glad you are joining us.

Hmm, I see the bridge garment more as something worn with outfits of both groups, a jacket/coat/cardi/duster/shrug or similar kind of thing

Will need to ponder this a bit given skirt lengths and the different colour palettes.

LoriMae

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2019, 17:31:25 PM »
I’m going to jump into this. Don’t know if I’ll finish (or even get started). But we’ll see.
Lori

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »
I'm still working away on my SWAKOP.
The first part was a sort of sage green, and the second part dark purple.
I've not yet finalised what my bridge garment will be.

I have trousers (pants), a longer skirt, a knee length skirt, so difficult to know quite what layering piece would work best with all of those, or maybe its OK to not worry about the long skirt?
The rules say:-
Now the tricky bit, you will also make 1 bridge garment, a piece of garment that coordinates with both of your groups. This can be made in a neutral colour, a print, etc. Ideally it’ll be some sort of over garment (jacket, coat, cape, vest) that can be worn with most of the combinations you have in your groups.

Lizzy777

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »
@SewRuthieSews

What about a waistcoat? They're supposed be back in fashion and you could always get a tweedy type of fabric which has some sage and purple in it too? 

lizzy

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
I think I'll finish off the last few purple things and then get the hanging rail out, put the sage and purple pieces on it and see what looks like it would work.
I'll keep an eye out for sage/purple but don't have anything like that in already that I can recall.

Lizzy777

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2019, 13:02:01 PM »
I think I'll finish off the last few purple things and then get the hanging rail out, put the sage and purple pieces on it and see what looks like it would work.
I'll keep an eye out for sage/purple but don't have anything like that in already that I can recall.

Yes, I think I would do that too. I was just thinking if you could get a colour with some flicks of the two colours it may pull it all together. I wish I had something with purple in it to give you but I am not a fan of purple unfortunately. Maybe when you get the hanging rail out and put the pieces on it, you get a fair idea of what other colours may work with them. Not easy I know.  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2019, 20:21:45 PM »
Agreed, or a completely different colour altogether e.g a very dark green or plain black.

If I made a long wrap coat for example not much of the outfit would be visible!

I don't want to make something just for the sake of the rules, rather I want something that will add something to my wardrobe. A long black coat or a long black dark green mac might have a place there.
----
edited to add I've just cut out the dark purple trousers, and if I'm careful I could also cut out a cardigan jacket from the leftovers, thus having a dark purple trouser suit! That could be a lot of fun, its a very dark brownish purple so wouldn't be too out there.

I think I have also worked out how I can make the jacquard fabric into a reversible jacket, incorporating the selvedge as self fringing, hopefully I can remember what I came up with in the middle of the night and it does actually work in reality. It had single layer (but opposite) collar and cuffs which can fold back in either direction, so it can be purple side or ivory side.

Have to see if that jacket works with anything else
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 23:26:59 PM by SewRuthieSews »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »
I'm still targeting 31.10.2109 for finishing my SWAKOP.
The simple cardigan jacket from my autumn purple set looks like it would be able to be the bridge garment.
I have the dark purple trousers and the cardigan jacket to finish off and then I'll put the rail up and have a look at everything together.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2019, 18:12:26 PM »
Ok here's the dark purple cardigan jacket, planned as the bridge piece between the sage and purple sides of the plan.
It has a removable belt, so I can add a purchased sage belt when I want to tie it more in with those pieces.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 23:31:05 PM »
OK with the dark purple cardigan jacket my SWAKOP so far is looking like this

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2019, 20:10:12 PM »
I have cut out what is hopefully the last piece for my SWAKOP - a deep pink knit top.
Construction is underway and I hope to hang everything up together this weekend.
The weather is cold and rainy though so might well be indoor shots.

renita

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
Hi all!  Popping back in after a long absence.  Your collection is looking lovely @SewRuthieSews. I have no chance of making the 31st October deadline and will have to really pick up the pace to even make the extended deadline.  I've been imagining my collection for the last few months when I haven't been able to sew - with one group in 'chocolate' and the other 'spice'.  Not sure if all that preparation work will make it any easier to come up with enough garments in time... here's hoping.
Anyway, good to be back and good to be almost sewing again.