The Sewing Place

Riding Habit

Sonatine

Re: Riding Habit
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2019, 20:59:24 PM »
Thanks for all of the kind words, I'm really happy with how it turned out!

@Lachica I started riding side saddle about 11 months ago and loved it so much that I stopped riding astride almost immediately. It does feel different but mostly it feels much more secure. It's also the only time I get to look and feel elegant haha!
With a side saddle that fits well and a balanced rider the weight should be fairly even on the horse's back, with a slight increase on the left side where the rider's right leg sits.

Lachica

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2019, 23:06:02 PM »
@Sonatine that's interesting. I'm guessing you can't use any leg pressure to control the horse. I believe side saddle was very common in previous centuries so it can't be all that difficult for animal or human. (I don't mean that in a disparaging way: I never learnt to ride but one of my daughters was very keen for a while) perhaps it evolved to suit petite ladies on large horses. Off to Google that theory!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lilian

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2019, 23:44:28 PM »
Congratulations @Sonatine a worthy winner  :toast: The habit looks wonderful  :)
Willing but not always able :)

SkoutSews

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
All your hard work paid off, Sonatine. The riding habit is a triumph - literally!

It's interesting that you feel more secure riding side-saddle as it looks more precarious than riding astride. It also looks more elegant, certainly in your outfit.

sewingj

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2019, 12:01:58 PM »
@Lachica   I think it was more that it was considered unseemly for ladies to be astride anything!

Sonatine

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2019, 13:11:57 PM »
I could talk (well write) about the history of side saddle for hours but I'll try to keep this brief haha!

Originally ladies rode facing completely to the side on a planchette. They had no control of the horse so had to be led by a man, and it wasn't possible to go any faster than a walk.
Then a pommel called the fixed head was added which allowed the ladies to face forwards with their right leg hooked over the pommel, and to ride independently.
In the 1830s a second pommel called the leaping head was added. This sits over the left thigh and gives greater security which means it's possible to gallop and jump. This meant Victorian ladies could ride fast across country with the hunt while still looking elegant.
The two pommels are hidden by the apron / skirt which is why there is the illusion of being balanced somewhat precariously. I've attached a photo from an early lesson which shows how it works!

Eventually I'd love to have a collection of habits from the 1700s through to the 1920s...

The left leg is used as if riding astride and a whip is carried in the right hand and used as if it is the right leg. Most horses adjust to it fairly quickly :)

Lachica

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2019, 13:47:42 PM »
Thanks @Sonatine you've explained it well, and the photo helps a lot. I can see why the habit is used, it does look more elegant. I had wondered whether a whip was used in lieu of the right leg. You must have very good balance.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SkoutSews

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2019, 14:10:58 PM »
Very interesting, thanks. The photo showing the side saddle in use makes it all clearer. Nonetheless, galloping and jumping sound scary!

Sewingsue

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2019, 16:40:57 PM »
Thank you, that photo makes it all so clear. I didn't realise there was a second pommel for the left leg to brace against.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.