The Sewing Place

Riding Habit

Sonatine

Re: Riding Habit
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2019, 17:12:52 PM »
The 1891 habit is almost finished - I wore it out to an event in September but I see so much wrong with it in the photos that I'm waiting until I can get new photos of it once it's altered a bit before I post any here.

I'm attempting a full modern habit now having finally got hold of the only pattern commercially available for a riding jacket. Already confused as it seems to have 9 inches of ease at the waist! There aren't any finished garment measurements on the pattern so maybe I measured it wrong. It's hard to make a mock up when you can't even work out which size to start from!

Edited to add, I've measued the bust and that comes out at 9 inches bigger than the body measurements too. That seems like a lot of ease for a fitted jacket?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 17:22:48 PM by Sonatine »

Sonatine

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 17:38:30 PM »
First mock up of the modern jacket is done and the fit wasn't terrible! That said, I did make it two sizes smaller than my body measurements because of the ridiculous ease.

The shoulders and bust fit really well. The body needs lengthening by 1.5in above the waist and 2in below the waist which is all I'm going to change for the next mock up. Then the cutaway front needs to start higher and flare out wider, and some excess fabric needs pinching out from the underbust and waist area but I don't think I can sort that until the length is correct.

(the sleeves do fit, it just looks strange because of having to take the photo myself!)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Fabric Lover

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 20:33:21 PM »
Looking good!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Sonatine

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2019, 18:57:40 PM »
Mock up number two started out looking completely shapeless and far worse than the previous attempt despite now being the correct length:

But with some seams ripped up to the waist to accomodate my hips and some of the excess pinched out of the back waist it's starting to look a bit better:

So now mock up number three is underway (I've never had to do multiple mock ups for one project before!) to try out these adjustments and then hopefully I can start on the real thing.

Sonatine

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2019, 16:54:41 PM »
Mock up number three and it's getting better!
It had a lot of hip flare to the point of almost having a peplum, so in this photo the excess is pinned out on the right side as you look at it, with the original shape on the left side:
I think the fit and shape is pretty much there now  :D

snoozi soozi

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2019, 16:57:37 PM »
It looks fab, you must have the patience of a saint  ><
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sonatine

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
Finally posting pics of the 1889 habit!
Thanks to a very kind friend I got to ride at a show at the weekend, and was joint 1st in the period costume class  :D
And a close up of the bodice back because it isn't visible in any of the photos.

b15erk

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
That's lovely @Sonatine - the horse too!

Well done!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
That looks like a very well deserved first place!  Congratulations!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
Exquisite
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
That outfit is stunning - well done - just shows that determination and hard work pays off.  Well done on coming joint first with the costume as well.

Sewingsue

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Stunning Beautiful

And fully deserving of joint first for the costume.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Nevis5

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 13:03:23 PM »
You look amazing! Congratulations!  :toast: :toast:

Greybird

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2019, 14:21:15 PM »
All the same from me too!!

Lachica

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2019, 18:11:32 PM »
That's fabulous. Congratulations on a well deserved win. You look so elegant. Riding side saddle must feel very different to astride - did it take long to get used to it? And does the horse not mind the change in weight loading?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.