The Sewing Place

Robot that tidies sewing rooms next?

Lizzy777

Robot that tidies sewing rooms next?
« on: April 17, 2019, 06:58:20 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/47913221/the-robot-that-tidies-up-bedrooms

Wonder if there will ever be a robot developed that will be clever enough to tidy up a sewing room  :o

;)

b15erk

Re: Robot that tidies sewing rooms next?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
Oh I do hope a modification becomes available.   ;)

Sewing room chaos seems to be a way of life atm... :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
It still has a long way to go.  The "paper clip" it tidied up was a box full of paper clips.  :S  When it can pick up a single pin or a tail of overlocking thread it will be time to buy one
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:24 AM »
OH was complaining that it took him over an hour to clear the threads off the roller on the Dyson at the weekend.

Serves him right for not using the attachment to hoover the sewing room!  :devil:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
Where will I keep it?

Radiofan

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »
OH was complaining that it took him over an hour to clear the threads off the roller on the Dyson at the weekend.

Serves him right for not using the attachment to hoover the sewing room!  :devil:
You need to tell him about the sticky tape trick for picking up threads before dysoning.

Robots doing housework? We have been dreaming of this since the 60s maybe earlier. We are not much closer to achieving it today. The automatic vacuum cleaner doesn't do a great job.

Large companies are pushing "cognitive" capabilities, but these are just problem solvers being trained by us for specific functions like voice recognition, visual recognition etc. The phyisical aspects of robotics is progressing, but I doubt we will see anything with the sophistication required to pick up something like a pin or needle anytime soon.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
You could always stick magnets on it!
Jessie tell him to cut across the roller with pointy scissors and stop messing about! If you expect a man to do a woman's job you have to explain it to him veh veh carefully.  0_0
....runs away quick....
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »
I use a dog slicker brush for picking up cottons. Some are left on the floor, but are usually too short to wrap around the roller.
Procrastination get behind me

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:40 AM »
@Holly Berry  What's a Dog Slicker Brush?

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
Please send the sewing room tidying robot over to me. It's an emergency!!!

Not quite on the same scale but that £2 magnet on an extendible stick that DH 'kindly' got me for my last birthday certainly does the job for the pins all over the floor phenomenon. Perhaps he's already planning to get me the robot for my next birthday.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
I read this tip on another site but...  you can use a magnetic nut and bolt tray.  Might cost you more than £2, though, Mr @Tamnymore .

snoozi soozi

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
I wouldn't trust a robot, or anybody, to tidy my sewing room, I'd be worried they'd chuck out something I wanted to keep. O hang on, that's just about everything  :S
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Kwaaked

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 23:31:24 PM »
I have a mini magnet sweeper ( here: https://www.harborfreight.com/17-in-mini-magnetic-sweeper-62704.html ) I let my kid roll all over the back part of my shop when she feels like it and I use it in the nice part where I deal with customers and the fittings twice a day so my cheap, knock off Roomba can work.

Otherwise, my kid is my robot, at least in the front of the house.  She dusts, polishes the furniture, she answers the phone, she even straightens the retail stuff.  The back no one touches under threat of death.  While I keep it neat, I also have decorative crates nailed to the wall to hold spools of thread, elastic rolls and whatever else I am using to catch them while I am busy where I throw them in.  Or the floor.  I'm not sure I make it to the trash can even half the time.  One of the days off, I go in and clean the whole thing, usually with her right in tow.  Since this is the only time she can touch some of the stuff, she is all over it.

Now, when I sew for myself and do my weird seasonal "collections"...I don't worry about keeping my stuff neat.  Between the dump table, the bundle carts and the garment rack (where garments in all stages of work, patterns and trims get thrown over it) it's all together...just not "neat".  And I can throw a sheet over it all to protect and hide it.  Robots would revolt over that type of cleaning.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
Well I must say that video was interesting and, apparently, fascinating to the Mei, who usually just sits n front of me while I'm on Tinternet but there was something in this that had her staring intently at the screen, even looking round the back of the laptop at times !!!

So 10/10 for catentertainment but from a human point of view ....Gawd! HOW slow were they ??!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »
@Iminei I didn't watch the video but I'd like to bet, when it comes to tidying, they're quicker than I am. At least they have a start button...I'm guessing.
@Kwaaked what a fab link. Not the magnet necessarily, just EVERYTHING useful all in one place.  :loveit: 
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!