The Sewing Place

Charlotte's Sewing Room

charlotte

Charlotte's Sewing Room
« on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
So I have finally got my sewing room sorted, which means I can put the knitting aside and get sewing again! My sewing room also has to function as an occasional spare room for overnight guests, so everything needs to be relatively movable to accommodate an air mattress. I had to buy a lot of furniture on a fairly small budget, so I thought I would share my choices

I have:
  • an Ikea Kallax and an old linen chest for storage (cutting and knitting blocking mats live behind the Kallax when not in use)
  • an old dining chair and a folding Habitat table for my sewing machine/overlocker (this was our balcony dining table in our old flat!)
  • Darcy the dressform (I had her already!)
  • a cheval mirror from Argos
  • an Ikea Norden gateleg table with Ikea Stubb leg extenders and locking castors (from eBay) for cutting
  • an Ikea Franklin folding barstool for when I want to sit at the cutting table
  • two Ikea Moppe drawers, stacked with added drawer pulls, leg extenders and castors
I am planning an ironing mat to go on top of the cutting table as well, as I think that will make ironing uncut fabric and pattern pieces a lot easier. I need some pictures for the walls as well - I was contemplating a peg board but I don't think I need one.

Also, shout out to my boyfriend who laid the laminate all by himself!  :)

Pictures:

Efemera

Re: Charlotte's Sewing Room
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
Very nice set up...

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:50 AM »
Lovely, may it stay as tidy as this for ever :D

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 14:04:21 PM »
What a great working space @charlotte , enjoy it.
Still learning

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 14:06:33 PM »
Lovely, may it stay as tidy as this for ever :D

Too late! It's already a mess!  :D

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 15:29:09 PM »
Hahaha my first thought was 'but it's so tidy'  :devil:  looks like a great set up though.  Enjoy it!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 16:31:54 PM »
Lovely room Charlotte!  Doesn't take long for the creative process to create chaos though!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 19:09:49 PM »
Too tidy Hun, can we see what it's like in a months time 0_0 0_0 0_0

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 01:30:15 AM »
Great working space, can’t wait to see what you make in there  :)

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 15:22:31 PM »
Great sewing space, hope it brings you much inspiration.

I have a Horn gate keg cutting table and like you toyed with the idea to make a pressing cloth top for ironing fabric and steaming wool fabric. In the end I got a pure wool blanket (mine’s so old it’s still got the coupon thingies they had during rationing!! and has been washed so many times it’s felted) from a charity shop, and use it on it’s own for wool shrinking and with an old duvet cover on top for ironing. The only reason I didn’t make it up was it’s easier to store as individuals.

I will look at the Ikea Franklin stool as my saddle stool (which is really a dog grooming stool) isn’t quite high enough.

Enjoy your sewing room.
Procrastination get behind me

Pam11

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 17:18:51 PM »
Oh wow it's absolutely fantastic...I would love mine to be like that.

Barcoded

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »
That’s well organised, enjoy the space!
I think I have joined the 201 club

Ann

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 13:33:28 PM »
A lovely space and enjoy sewing in it.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
How come I never noticed this before @charlotte, I love poking around in other people's sewing rooms to see what they have got.

That is so lovely and tidy and a clean floor as  well and nice cutting out table that you can walk around, I am so envious.  I love those drawers as well.  My mirror used to be stuck on a wall on the landing when we first got married.  When it eventually dropped off, I just used it propped against a wall.

Ah well I can dream, of somebody following me after I've been in and taking all the bits off the floor, instead of leaving it like a bombs dropped for the next time.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included