The Sewing Place

Roman Blind help

Ellabella

Roman Blind help
« on: March 29, 2019, 20:06:20 PM »
This weekends project is a Roman blind for my office.

I have some lovely fabric from the £1 a metre room at Immanuels and a new blind kit from Terry's Fabrics.

I've never used a kit before and so have been reading the instructions!  This kit includes a pocketed tape to hold the rods and secure the cords replacing those pesky little rings.  This looks like a great idea, attach the tape to the lining and Bobs your uncle.

Just before I embark on this blind can anybody tell me if they have used this system and if so did it work OK?

The puritan in me keeps whispering that if it is easier to do, it won't be as good. :S

Efemera

Re: Roman Blind help
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 20:22:49 PM »
I’ve used a kit.. it turned out really good...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 21:31:19 PM »
Me too.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 22:03:35 PM »
 A Roman blind was the first thing I made when I bought my sewing machine 16 years ago.  (I didn’t use a kit - I’m just reminiscing.). We left it in the house when we moved 12 years ago.  Whenever we go to Devon, we drive past the house to make sure it’s still there.  (The blind, not the house.)

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 22:18:31 PM »
I've never used a kit but I have used Rufflette's pocketed tape lots of times. It works very well. Just one edge of the tape is stitched onto the blind so there is only one row of stitches for each row of tape.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 23:52:51 PM »
Tape it is then :D

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 08:07:45 AM »
Years (and years and years and years) ago I made a roman blind for the bedroom of a house I briefly lived in (this was in the days of real, go to Boots and wait a week photos, so sorry I doubt I have a pic, disappearing or otherwise) in a Roma fabric. I couldnt afford a kit so made it with slim dowelling and it worked great.

How I worked out how to make it, no one knows! ... maybe a book from the library (pre internet days too)

Pics please when youre done Ella!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again