The Sewing Place

Cone of thread for normal sewing machine?

WildAtlanticWay

Cone of thread for normal sewing machine?
« on: April 19, 2019, 19:35:35 PM »
Can you use the large cones of polyester thread on an ordinary sewing machine?
If so, how does it work?
I don’t know the correct terms to google.  :S

I have a basic Singer overlocker that’s great and I bought a few cones of thread for it and recently purchased a 250m reel of Gütermann thread and wondered about the difference in price v difference in quality and how to choose the right type of thread for your project?

I’d probably stick with the branded polyester or cotton thread for dressmaking but I’m mostly playing at sewing and making bags, bunting and cushion covers etc. at the moment so don’t want to waste money on expensive thread if I don’t need to.

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Cone of thread for normal sewing machine?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 20:39:55 PM »
Perfect. Knew some clever person on here would know the answer.

Thank you @Efemera  :D

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »
Or if you're a cheapskate or in a hurry you can set your cone inside a cup or mug and run the thread up through a safety pin loop on the spindle.
Here.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 08:22:32 AM »
That’s so simple, it’s brilliant!  @wrenkins
Ok, I’ve got my mug and my safety pin, wish me luck!  0_0

Radiofan

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
I use the bobbin winder on my machine to wind thread from the cones onto empty spools. I like the gutermann spools, but I have some wooden ones as well.

I put the cone onto the floor such that the thread pulls off vertically and I put some masking tape around the bobbin pin so that the spool fits tight. I guide the thread by hand during winding. No extra equipment required.

Over lock thread works fine as a general seawall thread in a sewing machine.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:00 AM »
Of course you can use the big cones on a regular machine so long as you sort out a way of holding the cone so that the thread comes off the top of the cone before it goes through the first thread guide.  Cones are not supposed to rotate.

Just be aware that most of the big cones are a finer thread than regular SewAll and therefore not as strong.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
I tend to use Moon thread for both overlocking and the normal machine, as it's only about a £1 a reel, so buying four doesn't break the bank.  I'm sure someone will also come along and tell you it's rubbish thread, but it works for me  :)

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
I tend to use Moon thread for both overlocking and the normal machine, as it's only about a £1 a reel, so buying four doesn't break the bank.  I'm sure someone will also come along and tell you it's rubbish thread, but it works for me  :)

That sounds good value.
How much is on a reel of Moon thread? Where do you buy it from?

Of course you can use the big cones on a regular machine so long as you sort out a way of holding the cone so that the thread comes off the top of the cone before it goes through the first thread guide.  Cones are not supposed to rotate.
Just be aware that most of the big cones are a finer thread than regular SewAll and therefore not as strong.

As long as it’s ok for my fat quarter type projects, I’ll be very happy.

I’ve got enough Gütermann black and white thread reels for things like dressmaking but I didn’t want to ‘waste’ expensive thread as a reel of 100mt Gütermann is almost €3 and I used up quite a bit recently doing some curtain alterations for a friend. (Her husband is my builder and he’s going to tile my kitchen in return.  :D )

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
Moon thread is thicker than Gutermann.  It is also pretty fluffy and tends to put a lot of lint into the machine.  There’s a reason they are the price they are.  :)

Radiofan

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 13:13:17 PM »
Thicker does not translate to heavier or stronger. I compared a selection of thread that looked very different, but they all broke close to 800g and all weighed the same per length of 20m.

The thinner threads tend to be wound tight, whereas fluffy threads are a bit loosed and leave fluff in the machine.

Heavy and extra heavy threads are another matter.

The 5000yd cones are good value for money.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 14:36:13 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 13:23:44 PM »
Moon thread is thicker than Gutermann.  It is also pretty fluffy and tends to put a lot of lint into the machine.  There’s a reason they are the price they are.  :)

Wouldn’t more regular cleaning of the bobbin area be an adequate solution?

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 13:26:34 PM »
I compared a selection of thread that looked very different, but they all broke close to 800g and all weighed the same per length of 20m.
When I read a post like this I know that I truly have come home.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 15:16:19 PM »
Wouldn’t more regular cleaning of the bobbin area be an adequate solution?

Not really.  The problem is that the fluff gets right into the works of the machine and that requires the whole thing to be taken apart and serviced properly.  The cheap thread often works out very expensive.  Seen it many times!

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 15:53:06 PM »
Apart from the quality, the extra thickness of Moon thread is a reason for not using it for overlocking when - finishing seam allowances with three threads on wovens, rather than combined seams/neatening with four threads.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.