The Sewing Place

Cone of thread for normal sewing machine?

jintie

Re: Cone of thread for normal sewing machine?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 18:41:51 PM »
All very interesting, but I seem to have missed something- where do you put the safety pin ?
And, I use cheap polyester thread in straight stitch short seams, or to do zigzag seams in knits.
However, for long seams in wovens, only cotton or silk thread will do. (Poly pulls and crinkles the seams).
Rottweiler with scissors

Radiofan

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 20:56:17 PM »
All very interesting, but I seem to have missed something- where do you put the safety pin ?
And, I use cheap polyester thread in straight stitch short seams, or to do zigzag seams in knits.
However, for long seams in wovens, only cotton or silk thread will do. (Poly pulls and crinkles the seams).
From the YouTube video, the large gap in the middle of the safety pin goes over the spool pin and the thread goes through the small hole in the end of the safety pin. This guides the thread as if it were coming from a spool.

In stretch fabrics, it is better to use a zigzag stitch to prevent the seams from popping when stretching. A narrow zigzag will do, some patterns indicate this. Most newer machines have a straight-stretch stitch, but I find it is much slower to sew than a narrow zigzag.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 21:04:25 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 09:49:52 AM »
Thicker does not translate to heavier or stronger. I compared a selection of thread that looked very different, but they all broke close to 800g and all weighed the same per length of 20m.

Do you have a balance that will weigh less than 1 gram?

Coats Moon ticket 120 is 27 Tex.  Tex =weight in grams per 1000 metres
Thus 1000m = 27 gms
100m = 2.7 gms
20m = 0.54 gms

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:52:22 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
Well, now you know the answer! I shall, however, add a little more information.

If you look at the winding of the thread on any spool / cone / reel, you'll see that it is wound in either of two ways:
  • Like a bobbin, just going round and round from top to bottom to top
  • In a criss-cross pattern

For the first type, the thread is designed to unwind from the side, with the spool rotating. Don't use these with a cone holder as it will cause the thread to twist and become knotted. On your sewing machine, use the upright spindle.

For the criss-cross wound spools, the thread needs to be dispensed from the top, preferably with the cone being stationary. On a sewing machine, use the horizontal spindle.

HTH

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
If you look at the winding of the thread on any spool / cone / reel, you'll see that it is wound in either of two ways:
  • Like a bobbin, just going round and round from top to bottom to top
  • In a criss-cross pattern
For the first type, the thread is designed to unwind from the side, with the spool rotating. Don't use these with a cone holder as it will cause the thread to twist and become knotted. On your sewing machine, use the upright spindle.

That’s really interesting. Thank you.
So, if I wanted to use a wound bobbin as my top thread, I’d have to place it on an upright spindle?
My machine has a horizontal spindle as it’s normal setting.
I only realised I could make an upright spindle recently when I read about using a twin needle.
I kept thinking where does the second thread reel sit???  :o

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »

Coats Moon ticket 120 is 27 Tex.  Tex =weight in grams per 1000 metres
Thus 1000m = 27 gms
100m = 2.7 gms
20m = 0.54 gms

I do!  :D  It's for making lotions and potions.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

jintie

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 13:14:12 PM »
I finally got to see the you tube clip on using a cup and a safety pin. Thanks
Rottweiler with scissors

Radiofan

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 13:24:00 PM »
Electronic Jewlery scales, many have accuracy to 0.01g.
Has many uses, like the measuring of certain powders  :devil:
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 21:06:20 PM »
I only realised I could make an upright spindle recently when I read about using a twin needle.
I kept thinking where does the second thread reel sit???  :o

Most machines now come with an upright spindle that sits on top of the bobbin winder - you shouldn't need to *make* one.  Older machines like my Singer 522 had a second hole to fit a second spindle that came in the accessory box (except I managed to snap it off!).

Marniesews

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 02:46:15 AM »
I think you'll be absolutely fine as long as you know what you're sewing with and can sew with it appropriately so the differences aren't really shortcomings.

--- Moon thread and cheaper overlocking thread are definitely more linty than Gütermann but that's not such a problem as long as you clean your machine regularly and perhaps a little more often than usual when you're using it.

--- It doesn't have the strength of Gütermann either so be aware that if you're sewing seams that need to bear weight or are under tension that you do some reinforcement stitching once it's all fitted and finalised.

--- It's not as good looking for topstitching as Gütermann but, if the topstitching is more functional than decorative, that's no big issue either. You also have other options for buttonholes where you can use a gimp thread to give more body and emphasis to the stitching.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 16:13:38 PM »
Quote from: Marniesews link=topic=7073.msg114593#msg114593 date=
You also have other options for buttonholes where you can use a [i
gimp thread[/i] to give more body and emphasis to the stitching.

I’ve had to re-read that several times... :o
<is it just me?  ;) >

..... ok, I googled it and it’s a thing. Who knew? Not me obviously.  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 18:00:34 PM »
I know of two types of gimp thread.

In lacemaking it's just a thick embroidery type thread to outline parts of a design.  In other uses it's a specific type of threadl round and wrapped with a fine thread, usually quitestiff and springy
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.