The Sewing Place

No good just sitting here doing nothing

Catllar

No good just sitting here doing nothing
« on: April 21, 2019, 13:51:02 PM »
I've got to get out my magic fairy material making spell book and make an extra flamenco dress from no fabric except what I need to cut off the  bottom of one skirt. ( this is a 12cm frill) Basically I've got 7 dresses and 8 dancers. As usual I am exaggerating as I've found half a yard each of 2 fabric AND  I have 6 yards each of two colours of ric-rac, no problem then! :S
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 13:52:34 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sewingsue

Re: No good just sitting here doing nothing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 18:54:21 PM »
I assume you are having to sort out someone else's mix up (not for the first time IIRC).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 17:31:52 PM »
Good memory - I was told we had 7 girlies, but guess what ?

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:52 AM »
Oh Catllar, you may have the fabric now you've sat down and thought it through but it's just another example of the 'can you just...?' assumption, isn't it? I recall that sinking feeling every time the dance teacher said, "Could you just have a look at this?" or "Can you just squeeze another little job in?" Every time I hear your tales of making the best of someone else's omissions, I'm so glad that I managed to detach myself from my granddaughter's dance school.

I do still sew for a few other dancers who we know personally (or know their families well) and it means that I have more sense of control rather than being overwhelmed by the demand, timescales and unreasonable expectations. What's more my dresses have improved no end, I get to challenge myself almost every time with new styles and techniques knowing that if it doesn't work for my DGD we just trash it and try something else without any sense of guilt or recriminations. In all I've 'only' made 7 competition costumes and 3 practice skirts in the last 5 months and I've got time to be planning the Halloween fancy dress over the summer as well as some new big challenges for DGD over the next 9 months (including more beading  :loveit: which is far too time consuming to do for anyone else but her).
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 23:14:42 PM »
I'm really pleased I don't have to contend with beading or chiffon  Marnie, - that'd drive me mad.

Progress thus far after lengthy consideration and gin - I recuperated  peach colour frills from the shortening of other dresses. ( Set of dresses are peach and green - with both colours on each dress )  I have a peach coloured remnant enough to make the bodice .   I need 4 frills to make the dress  similar to the others and I need 2 peach and 2 green. I've managed to piece together the donuts in green using the bits of shortened underskirts taken from the dresses I shortened - like a bloody jigsaw puzzle. All I have to think about now is where do I find something to make the skirt base. Found a recuperated zippier in my emergency box. Getting there.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 19:44:51 PM »
Made the skirt base by patching together all, and I mean all, the remnants then cutting out the skirt. The frills will cover a multitude of sins.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 04:51:53 AM »
Oh, I don't envy you, Catllar.  But remember the 20 foot rule - if it can't be noticed from 20 feet away, while they're dancing, all is good.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 15:45:15 PM »
Exactly. A very good rule and one which I enforce with a firm hand!

Yellowfeather

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 21:42:28 PM »
Oh man, been there, done that!!!  really don't envy your predicament.   I hope it didn't cause you too much stress?  The stupid thing is ... no-one else ever seems too notice all the hard work it took to create the costume, especially if it comes to paying extra for the time it took!!!  I hope it wasn't too horrible for you, and well done for persevering.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »
Cat, you must be something of a magician!

Well done!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.