The Sewing Place

Is it me?

Efemera

Is it me?
« on: April 12, 2017, 13:24:06 PM »
Would you blog this...I might be nit picking and a bit of a perfectionist but surely you would give this a good press. I was tought to press at every stage for a good finish.

Ploshkin

Re: Is it me?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 13:31:45 PM »
Sister Mary Joseph would be turning in her grave if I produced something looking like that.
Life's too short for ironing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 14:23:57 PM »
It looks pressed to me?

The main flat areas of the coat are perfectly pressed (see the collar and front facing which has a large flat area with no creases). The "creases" in the jacket are just the natural folds that that sort of wool would make while you're wearing the garment. The ones on the sleeves are just caused by the arm being folded. They aren't creases from the fabric being screwed up. If you put a coat on now with that much positive ease and bent your arm you'd get a fold, no?

jen

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 15:12:55 PM »
I'm not criticising (glass houses and stones). Sometimes the only moment I can get to take a photo, due to weather and RL issues is when the project is crumpled, or the technique I'm waffling about is imperfectly carried out. I admire those very polished blogs, but when it's sewing or photographing, sewing gets the priority.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 15:37:25 PM »
Several years ago I made a jacket and was advised to get it pressed professionally - at the local dry cleaners. Being a good girl and all the work I had put into it, I did as I was told. When I collected it and looked at it at home I was appalled, the seams hadn't been done properly so I ended up doing it myself, it took ages but looked ok. I wouldn't take it back because I think I would have exploded - professional pressing - no way.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 16:23:52 PM »
surely you would give this a good press. I was tought to press at every stage for a good finish.

I agree with you.  If it was pressed, then she didn't do a very good job.  The edges lack the sharpness and I suspect that seams may not have been graded.  Still, I expect she received lots of praise in the comments section.  ><

Maximum

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 17:30:30 PM »
I agree it needs a good press. Might be a "new" look called 'soft finish' with rounded edges - lol :D

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 17:32:24 PM »
I REALLY love the colour though!
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 17:35:57 PM »
I think she hasn't learned how important understitching is yet.  It took me YEARS to appreciate the difference it makes.  The turned edges need a damn good clapping too- she probably did press it, but those bouncy wools take some serious energy to tame, and usually a fair amount of hidden hand stitching inside to hold down the seam allowances too
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 18:19:27 PM »
I agree. It needs a clap (though not on the back). I got one of those point presser and clapper thingies a few years ago and have learned to give edges a darn good thump. It is surprising what a difference it makes. Also good for venting one's frustrations...  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 19:02:22 PM »
It looks pressed to me?

The main flat areas of the coat are perfectly pressed (see the collar and front facing which has a large flat area with no creases). The "creases" in the jacket are just the natural folds that that sort of wool would make while you're wearing the garment. The ones on the sleeves are just caused by the arm being folded. They aren't creases from the fabric being screwed up. If you put a coat on now with that much positive ease and bent your arm you'd get a fold, no?

It certainly isn't pressed... if you mean it's not creased then it isn't but those edges on the lapels haven't seen an iron....

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 20:08:42 PM »
It certainly isn't pressed... if you mean it's not creased then it isn't but those edges on the lapels haven't seen an iron....

I see what you mean now, they do look too soft. I thought you were saying the folds of fabric were creases  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 20:57:40 PM »
Maybe she doesn't own an iron! 0_0.
Dreadful. And agree with DF.  Under stitching is soooooo important.  Some years ago a friend and I were at an exhibition at the V & A.  It was a time line of Vivienne Westwood's work.  I'm no great fan of her work anyway.  But it made our day to see some of her earlier stuff.  Seam edges visible through over pressing and a jacket with no under stitching. 

Snowgoose

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 21:31:16 PM »
I think she hasn't learned how important understitching is yet.  It took me YEARS to appreciate the difference it makes.  The turned edges need a damn good clapping too- she probably did press it, but those bouncy wools take some serious energy to tame, and usually a fair amount of hidden hand stitching inside to hold down the seam allowances too

Please can you explain understitching?  I've never heard of it before  -<  Thank you  :flower:

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 21:36:13 PM »
Please can you explain understitching?  I've never heard of it before  -<  Thank you  :flower:

Here's a little article: https://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand-london/12516745-nerdy-sewing-tips-understitching