The Sewing Place

Is it me?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Is it me?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 21:38:55 PM »
That looks dreadful.  A long jacket I made recently had edges like that and just wouldn't press, so it had a line of topstitching all around, and along all the seams.  I love it now, or I did until the dratted puppy ripped it!  A bit of wonderweb and a patch on the back helped with the hole...

Snowgoose

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 22:16:34 PM »
Here's a little article: https://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand-london/12516745-nerdy-sewing-tips-understitching

Thank you very much :flower:  Bookmarked and will try with some scrap material  8)

Snowgoose

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 13:34:21 PM »
Would you blog this...I might be nit picking and a bit of a perfectionist but surely you would give this a good press. I was tought to press at every stage for a good finish.

Do you have a link to the pattern, please?  I love the jacket and am wondering if it could be made in fleece fabric?  I love the soft, relaxed look of this - ideal for cold, windy days to snuggle up in  8)

Thank you  :flower:

Samantha

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 15:45:43 PM »
I love understitiching! Makes such a difference and is so satisfying.

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 17:05:39 PM »
Indeed- I just did a very long, curved hem facing [twice, because I didn't notice that the bobbin ran out  :angry:] and then understitched it.  It turned back so neatly and crisply, I felt very smug!
C'est moi!

ajuga

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 18:39:33 PM »
Thank you very much :flower:  Bookmarked and will try with some scrap material  8)

Thanks for asking Snowgoose - I was trying to work it out too. Thank you to Francesca for the article - I have also bookmarked it.

Efemera

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 18:46:16 PM »
The coat is Style Arc Riley..here's the green version.
http://cookinandcraftin.blogspot.co.uk

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 19:19:57 PM »
Compare and contrast

I think it's an ugly pattern, but this is at least competently sewn.

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 19:29:47 PM »
Oh yes, that one's done properly lol

I don't think it's ugly, but it is very casual.  I don't see much point in a coat that doesn't fasten, it would drive me mad
C'est moi!

Snowgoose

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 22:34:05 PM »
Oh yes, that one's done properly lol

I don't think it's ugly, but it is very casual.  I don't see much point in a coat that doesn't fasten, it would drive me mad

Baler twine belt!  Marvellous stuff - very chic..  ;)

Snowgoose

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 22:39:52 PM »
The coat is Style Arc Riley..here's the green version.
http://cookinandcraftin.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you so much!  I really like this coat, I think it would work in fleece?  I like fleece, no fraying, and I can throw it into the washing machine without worry  0_0. I've never tried to make a coat but I am so tempted by this.  Especially in a bright colour  :)

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
I like fleece, no fraying, and I can throw it into the washing machine without worry  0_0.

Apparently the modern passion for fleece is causing major pollution issues.  Every time the things are 'thrown in machines' tiny plastic fibres end up in the water system, and are ingested by fish, and in turn by humans.  It doesn't break down, and the sea is being filled with invis ble plastic threads.
I'm not a fleece person, but the missus is- I've asked her not to acquire more, and to not wash excessively [I think most people wash clothes WAY too much- the shortest cycle our machine does is FORTY minutes!  Can you imagine hand washing anything for that long?]
C'est moi!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »
Well never in all my years of sewing have I seen understitching done from the wrong side.  :o I can see there would be problems with that.  Have a look at this method. Should be done from the right side so you can see what is going on and make sure stitching is straight on the side where it will be visible.
https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/07/how-to-sew-understitching/

jen

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
I didn't know that fleece was dangerous to wildlife. I'm going to rethink how I wash my fleece jackets. These are incredibly useful as warmwear that doesn't matter too much (dog walking, gardening). Alternatively, perhaps felted wool could be used to make an equivalent but not destructive version?

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
Version 2 looks fine. Understitching from.the wrong side sounds like nightmare. I have enough trouble keeping stitching straight from the right side!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde