The Sewing Place

Are fabric manufacturers TRYING to drive us batty?

WendyW

Are fabric manufacturers TRYING to drive us batty?
« on: April 23, 2019, 00:01:53 AM »
I've hemmed countless prom/bridesmaid dresses since I hung out my shingle, but today's was one of the worst. Just when I think I've mastered every type of fabric possible, they throw something different at me. Today's was a chiffon-weight knit. I always use the trimmed-off part to practice on the fabric before doing the dress, and I tried 2 different rolled-hem feet, and 2 methods with the regular foot before I could get a decent hem on it. Ultimately had to fold once and stitch, then fold again and stitch. Second dress I had on my table today was a satin. I was thrilled to get a nice "normal" fabric, until I got that one under the needle and realized it also was a knit as it did it's best to stretch instead of gliding smoothly over the feed dogs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 15:25:22 PM by WendyW »

snoozi soozi

Re: Are fabric manufacturers TRYING to drive us batty?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »
@WendyW  I decided after last week that I am no longer making any more knit/stretch/jersey garments of any kind. I have no experience of either of the kind of fabrics you mentioned but they sound hellish. I am officially a stretch wimp, no more  :'(
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »
Some stretch fabrics do give fabulous results but I have met fabrics that stretch but then never go back into the original shape and I don't know what we are meant to do with those.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

jintie

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
And what about the RTW knit clothing that isn't quite cut on the grain, so doesn't hang properly?
Rottweiler with scissors

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »
And what about the RTW knit clothing that isn't quite cut on the grain, so doesn't hang properly?

… and that's precisely why I make my own  :)

Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 23:16:47 PM »
Knits are the best and the worst, depending on how they play!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 23:25:00 PM »
I avoided knits for most of my sewing life, but now I have my overlocker, I couldn't do without them.  One or 2 have defeated me [those uber slinky, crinkly, lovely textured ones are impossssssssssible to hem] but most are fab.
For super comfort and recoverablility [and ease of sewing] I highly recommend Frumble Fabrics' 'premium jersey'
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 09:14:20 AM »
I too quite like sewing knits with my overlocker, but I might draw the line at "chiffon weight" and "satin" knits  :S

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
I’ve been pretty lucky  and not really had much of a problem with knits.  But I don’t go for polyester and slinky stuff. 

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 14:47:40 PM »
In general I've got a good working relationship with knits. T-shirt and sweatshirt knits are good friends of mine. Those are cotton and know how to behave themselves. The next generation of knits, beginning with those tissue-thin see-through t-shirts, are a whole nother story. Like most youngsters they are stubborn and uncooperative and determined to buck the rules. Wish I could give them a good spanking and be done with it. Unfortunately I don't get to choose the fabrics my clients buy their dresses in.