The Sewing Place

Denim Pinny - updated with upcycled skirt version

datcat23

Denim Pinny - updated with upcycled skirt version
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:51 AM »
I have never been all that hot on the pinafore love, but I thought I would give this one a go.

Its the York Pinafore from Helens Closet.  A small range so far, but seems to be sensibly designed.  I did find one error on the pattern printout, so i will have to email them about it. 

I used some thrifted denim, given to me by a friend, rotating the pockets by 45deg angles, because "ain't nobody got time for pattern matching stripes".  I used a 20 for the bodice grading out at the waist and hips, because I am 50 now, and the teenage waist will never be back.  I did have to straighten the side seams a bit, because I carry my weight in the front rather than on my thighs, and so the exaggerated cocoon shape just looked like empty saddlebags on me. 

York Pinafore by Dani, on Flickr

I thought I should add a shot of me in it.  I will definitely need it to be longer, if I want to wear it alone, or with tights.  Its OK with leggins though.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:53:38 AM by datcat23 »
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

snoozi soozi

Re: Denim Pinny
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
Like it Dani, good fabric choice. I've made these before but I never feel comfortable in them, they tend to 'shift around' when worn. I love to see them though  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »
Very nice. I like the shape and I think the pockets probably look much better than if you had matched them.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
I like the stripey fabric and agree that the pockets look good the way you've cut them.  It emphasises their shape, they'd be lost if the stripes matched.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »
That's lovely, so simple, but the pockets and shape really make it interesting.

CCL

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:57 AM »
Great  pinafore!  You may find that you really like them.   I made two pinafores earlier this year, and I have surprised myself by how often wear them...just so easy to get dressed in the morning.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:10:38 AM by CCL »
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

datcat23

Re: Denim Pinny - updated with upcycled skirt version
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »
I finished the second of these today.  This one is made from an embroidered skirt I picked up at a charity store.

Embroidered pinafore by Dani, on Flickr

I altered the pattern slightly, angling out at the CF and CB to align with the hem, and folding out some of the cocoon shape.  I also cut the top of the straps and back separately, as the pattern was too long for the skirt.

I am actually more likely to wear this one than the striped one.  Really quite happy with how it turned out.

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 11:54:48 AM »
Wow @datcat23 that looks really cool, and I do love a bargain. I picked up some fabric from a charity shop near me a few months ago for two quid and managed to get a jumpsuit out of it. Along with bias binding from an Aldi FQ it has to be my cheapest outfit ever, well, apart from donated fabric of course  :P
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
Very nice indeed!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 13:31:08 PM »
Lovely. I prefer the embroidered one but they're both good & I imagine will be very useful. It's great when you get a good charity shop bargain - no agonising about cutting into expensive fabric. If it works, great, if it doesn't it's a learning experience.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Clareew

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 19:38:10 PM »
I love the embroidered one, you are really good at making special garments.

Fiona M

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »
Wow, that is lovely!

Morzel

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »
@datcat23 , that looks so nice! Thanks for including a shot of the first jumper on you, it really gives a much better picture of how it looks like - which is great. LOVE those striped pocket with a different orientation.
Eva

Sewcycle

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 21:05:24 PM »
Wow - I think they both look great. My favourite is the striped one because of the way you’ve rotated the stripes on the pockets. If you don’t wear if because it’s longer, you could shorten it a bit but I suppose that would affect the balance. I really like the skirt version one too. What a brilliant idea for a slightly fussy denim skirt. Looks so much better in this new incarnation.  :toast:
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:55:20 AM »
They are both really lovely @datcat23 .   I like the embroidered denim one, fantastic use of an old skirt.