The Sewing Place

quilting catastrophe

annieeg

quilting catastrophe
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
I'm a reasonably experienced dressmaker, but a completely novice quilter.
As I have a lot of colleagues (and a niece) expecting first babies, I thought it would be a good time to dip my toe in the quilting water so I bought the kit below:
https://sunnysidefabricsuk.com/products/story-time-quilt-and-stuffie-kit-dogs-do-read

However, it is a disaster and I am very, very  :| :|  but I will, nonetheless, show you the result so far.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

What went wrong?  I think I didn't cut some of the green plush sections on the grain, plus the printed blocks are cotton and the green plush is a ribbed polyester - so could it be the fabric combinations don't work so well ?

Is it savable?  I can unpick it (carefully) and start again but should I try and find a plain green cotton quilting fabric to substitute for the plush? 
I can buy another kit but it seems does a bit extravagant..
Any suggestions welcome (other than "throw it in the bin") as I've already thought of that one. ;)

Efemera

Re: quilting catastrophe
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
I wouldn’t mix fabrics....make sure you press everything really well, ideally after every seam.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:03:38 AM »
Oh my!
I'm not sure that the grainline would make a huge difference if the poly is ribbed; it's going to stretch a lot more than your cotton anyway.
If the fabrics were supplied with the kit I'd go back to the supplier and tell them what has happened. You can't be the first to have had this problem.
If it was me I'd unpick as I'd never be happy with it. The problem is that your two fabrics are feeding through your machine at different rates so either tack or pin (many many pins...)and use a walking foot and go veh veh slowly and see how it goes. If it starts to do the same again then yes, replace it with cotton. A nice brushed cotton would give a softer feel without the stretch.
Good luck.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
Oh my!
I'm not sure that the grainline would make a huge difference if the poly is ribbed; it's going to stretch a lot more than your cotton anyway.
If the fabrics were supplied with the kit I'd go back to the supplier and tell them what has happened. You can't be the first to have had this problem.
If it was me I'd unpick as I'd never be happy with it. The problem is that your two fabrics are feeding through your machine at different rates so either tack or pin (many many pins...)and use a walking foot and go veh veh slowly and see how it goes. If it starts to do the same again then yes, replace it with cotton. A nice brushed cotton would give a softer feel without the stretch.
Good luck.
thanks @wrenkins - you've encouraged me to unpick and start again with a nice brushed cotton... ("oh My") was a lot milder than the expletives I used ... :D

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:53 AM »
Annie one day in work our swear box burst. Admittedly it was a plastic cup but still.... people are now heard to say things like GOSH! and my favourite, 'oh my', when inside their heads we know that there is blackness and oaths!!!!  0_0
...it doesn't always stay inside their heads either....  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »
@annieeg   Are you kidding me????   :o

First ... Were the fabrics supplied with the kit?
Or was it pattern and destructions only?
For £10.50 I suspect the latter.

Secondly .... have you not read this

Thirdly ... Would you like to come on a quilting retreat to make a cot quilt for your lil one?

Forthly ... Well done for showing us .. Lots of peeps wouldnt have ...
But you need taking in hand young lady, Come down to DDD with :devil: and I will lead you through it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:36:02 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »
Now there's an offer you can't refuse!
A lock-in with The Oracle!!!!  :loveit:

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »
I have never made a garment and therefore never take any notice of fabric grain.
Never mix fabrics ( polyester is usually a no-no ) although some experienced Darksiders can and do, it's not advisable for a beginner.
I would offer to talk you through things, step by step, but I am in the throes of moving house, so I suggest that Imi is the one to go to.... especially as she is embarking on being a tutor ( look out for her You Tube posts soon  :D ) I believe she has a written tutorial for a cot quilt under her belt already.
Don't give up, start again and Good Luck  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »
@Iminei
The fabrics were all in the complete kit (I actually paid £16 for it locally), which is why I bought it - saved me a lot of angst or so I thought!!! :'(
I think I now realise why this was quite cheap - because its not a functional combination of fabrics and its more about style than substance (if you know what I mean).

I did read through your cot quilt for the nervous (but obviously not thoroughly enough!) and I watched some tutorials on YOuTube on stitching in the ditch etc. plus I followed the somewhat vague [destruction] notes with the kit.

I would like to try and rescue it, even if only to get some practice - so my plan is to take it apart, substitute the plush fabric with some quilting cotton (which I have), and use a better batting (which is on order).
If you have the energy (or courage) to look at them, I'll post some progress pictures for you.
Does that sound like a feasible plan?

Be careful about what you offer, because I might well come down to Dorset for a day's tuition...!

In all seriousness, do you offer classes?  How much do you charge?  Where's the nearest small hotel/b+b?

Annie

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »
I'm assuming that as it is sold as a 'craft kit' the fabrics were supplied.
If so, then you didn't really stand a chance and I am cross for you that the suppliers are putting this stuff out there.
I'm sure it's salvageable, the green bits are long strips so only long seams to unpick.  Give the centre section and the pieced strips a bloody good press then find a nice quilting cotton to replace the offending green stuff.  Each time you add a strip, press (seams to one side, not open) - don't leave it to the end.

ETA - cross posted with you @annieeg
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:43:11 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
If they supplied the fabrics..... that's terrible!
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Starryfish

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:56 AM »
I too bought a kit at the NEC sewing for pleasure. Mine is a pale green jungle theme, and I have had the same issues with the fluffy ribbing. I have only sewed on three strips and have been wondering whether to rip it apart. I did look at Iminei's tutorial, but it was the thought of choosing lots of coordinating fabrics that drew me to the kit. I will look for a cotton fabric  to replace the ribbing and try again.

There is no fabric shop for miles around and buying different fabrics online and hoping they go together is daunting.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »
Dont rescue it @annieeg ...

(copy the destructions if you need) then take the whole damn mess back to the shop and demand a refund.

They should never have put those fabrics together and shows just how much they know about quilting ...
Im assuming this is a general craft shop? please please dont tell me its a quilting shop!

The offer stands and I have unexpectedly have a spare bed available! so no need for a B&B.
Will take more than a day tho ... a good or more likely along weekend and if you work hard and are a good girl you may complete or almost complete it.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »
Same offer goes for you @Starryfish  ... I hate the thought ofnew quilters being discouraged by whatever ... shoddy kits, poor destructions, overwhelming projects  etc

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
@Iminei
I bought the kit [in person]  from an online supplier who happens to have her warehouse/shop near where I live and I know one of the people who work there (married to a work colleague) so I can't return it, as it would be very awkward.
I'll put the cost down to experience ... 

I do have lots of other quilting hopes and aspirations and would love to attend a quilting workshop at yours, perhaps along with @Starryfish ?

Can you give some dates/fees (via PM if you prefer) and ideas of what to bring ?
Annie