The Sewing Place

quilting catastrophe

Sewingsue

Re: quilting catastrophe
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
You could return it on the grounds that since you know them and can call in and show them the problems you wanted to warn them before they had online complaints which could impact on their business.

So you are actually doing them a favour.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
Sorry @annieeg  but you have to take the mess back to the shop. I dont care that a friend of a friend of a friend might work there ..... it was a badly put together kit and they shouldnt have sold it. It was unfit for purpose.

If you dont return it and point out the problem (AND get the refund) somebody else will buy their kit and get stung, and maybe they wont be able to afford to put it down to experience .... or worse it will put them off The Dark Arts for ever.

I dont have a retreat, Im offering to help you make something beautiful, take you through all the processes and just happen to have a spare room ... Offer applies to you too @Starryfish .

I just love what I do and want to encourage others. Pm me if youre interested Im free all the time anytime except 2nd week June and  first week August.

Both you girls can sew right? 
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Sorry @annieeg  but you have to take the mess back to the shop. I dont care that a friend of a friend of a friend might work there ..... it was a badly put together kit and they shouldnt have sold it. It was unfit for purpose.

If you dont return it and point out the problem (AND get the refund) somebody else will buy their kit and get stung, and maybe they wont be able to afford to put it down to experience .... or worse it will put them off The Dark Arts for ever.

@annieeg  ^^^^^This, absolutely!

annieeg

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 12:11:33 PM »
@Iminei
Just to let you know that I have e-mailed the "shop" and raised the problem and sent photo and asked for refund.  (They don't have proper opening hours as its mostly web-based selling so I can't just turn up there as they may be closed.)
I'll keep you posted of any developments.
Thanks to everyone who gave feedback on this.

Starryfish

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
@Iminei , that is a very kind offer, but my Spring and Summer calendar is packed out. Both my Dd and DDIL are pregnant, and I have lots of other stuff happening!
I will make a trip to a quilting shop and look for some matching fabric, and try to sew it up myself. I will post pics of my WIP for critiques!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

annieeg

Re: quilting catastrophe - update
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 13:03:58 PM »
@Iminei
Is this any better than my last awful attempt?

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 13:13:57 PM »
Oh, that's heaps better @annieeg and a much nicer fabric anyway.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 13:26:14 PM »
That's lovely @annieeg. It wasn't your work that was awful, it was the dodgy ingredients. That one's top banana! Well done for persevering.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 15:55:15 PM »
That's really nice  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 16:47:53 PM »
Great pick of fabric @annieeg Well done you for being patient enough to rescue!

Heard from the shop yet?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 18:14:30 PM »
@Iminei
The shop supplied the fabric FOC and as I was able rescue the other pieces from the original version I was satisfied with the suppliers offer.  There's a big chunk if the green left to put towards another project. 
(FYI  this was my first quilt so us a bit of a watershed for me.)
Any suggestions for the next project?
I'm looking for something small scale.

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 18:27:13 PM »
You could have a little go at a Project Linus quilt. Some people still haven't started so you wouldn't be behind if you started now.
Details here.
The rules are a bit fluid. I may have ignored them sightly. I'm sure the children won't mind.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 19:32:33 PM »
I won't be starting mine until June so there's plenty of time left @annieeg
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Starryfish

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 21:17:46 PM »
I bought some mint green fabric and used it instead of the fluffy stuff.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm quilting the the centre now. The instructions tell you to sew the top,wadding and backing layer together and turn it right side out, then quilt it. I can't think this would give a good result, so I will do it the usual way and bind the edge with some grey fabric.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

wrenkins

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 21:51:55 PM »
@Starryfish bagging out is pretty much how I did my cushion covers for the swaps. If you trim seam allowances and corners and press the divil out of it, it turns out fine.  :) Doing it 'properly' with a binding will be good too.  0_0
I considered bagging my Project Linus but decided against it. Now I'm having to decide on bindings and complicated things.   :[
That's lovely.  :loveit:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 21:53:32 PM by wrenkins »