The Sewing Place

quilting catastrophe

Iminei

Re: quilting catastrophe
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
That kit and the destructions should be banned!
Its not going to get good results and will put new quilters off for life.

But Annie you have exhibited great patience and stamina with it, chosen the right fabrics, listened to the advice and are making ... from what I can see a silk purse from a sows ear ...

but I must say I pity the poor sod who has this kit and doesnt have anyone to query things with.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their input and encouragement @Iminei et al.
I gave the quilt yesterday to the girl at work and she was delighted with it. :)
My next project is the Clothkits
 https://clothkits.co.uk/products/baby-changing-bag-and-mat-nursery-organiser-vintage-clothkits-sewing-kit
This needs to be made for the Baby Shower on 22nd June.
I know a kit is a bit of a cheat, but its more for practice and confidence building. 

However, I do have a stash of fat quarters and not insignificant quantity of other fabric  so I will be attempting the Iminei Cot Quilt tutorial from scratch when I'm not under any time pressure.
Thanks again (I think :) for inveigling me over to the Dark Side.
Annie

wrenkins

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
Sewing level: Improvers

That's where we all are surely!  0_0
Good luck with this one @annieeg.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Starryfish

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 19:00:14 PM »
I've finished my effort.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I used a plain light grey to make a binding instead of bagging it as the instructions suggested. I didn't think  I could get to lie straight if I did that.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The back is a patterned flannel( supplied with kit)

I suppose I am now a beginner darksider?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Kitten

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 17:15:46 PM »
That's lovely.  Hope it is appreciated.

Missie

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 07:46:58 AM »
Fab Quilts, ladies.  Well done!

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
Nice binding Starryfish, well done you!

rubywishes

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 08:56:23 AM »
Oh that is sooooo pretty...well done you!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Starryfish

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 13:05:02 PM »
thank you all, I'm pleased with how it turned out. @Iminei , my fingers are now rather rough from handstitching the binding, as I couldn't work out how to get a nice result with blanket stitch.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 17:31:57 PM »
I started off hand stitching the bindings too, Starryfish but came upon the machine blanket stitch puzzling over how to shove the entire quilt through the harp when a clever soul on the old place suggested using the mirror image function with the blanket stitch ... Brilliant!

Lilian

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 19:16:17 PM »
I started off hand stitching the bindings too, Starryfish but came upon the machine blanket stitch puzzling over how to shove the entire quilt through the harp when a clever soul on the old place suggested using the mirror image function with the blanket stitch ... Brilliant!

@Iminei I cannot handstitch easily due to an injury. What do you mean about mirror image blanket stitch for binding? Can you explain it for me please?   -< I am considering buying a binding foot.  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)