The Sewing Place

Herringbone Knit Pencil Skirt

datcat23

Herringbone Knit Pencil Skirt
« on: April 27, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
In reality, this skirt has little in common with the pattern it is based on. Basically I used the pattern for its shape. Its KwikSew 3118, the pattern being for an unlined pencil skirt with a centre back zip. My measurements came in above the largest size, so I added 10cm in total to the width.

The fabric is a vintage piece of polyester double knit, in a herringbone pattern. I interlined it with a heavyweight knit tricot, omitted the zip (can't stand the things they dig in too much), and inserted an invisible elastic waist (yep folks, that there is an elastic waist). It helps that because my waist isn't much smaller than my hips, the band sits flat. I will be trialing this in a stretch suiting next, in order to update my work skirts to something that doesn't cut me in half when i sit down.

Herringbone work skirt by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Efemera

Re: Herringbone Knit Pencil Skirt
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »
That looks like one comfy smart skirt...

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 14:19:10 PM »
Very nice, @datcat23  !  I like herringbone fabric.  Can I just ask how you did the elastic waist?  How much shorter than the waistband did you cut in in order for it to lie nice and flat like that?

datcat23

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 00:46:16 AM »
Very nice, @datcat23  !  I like herringbone fabric.  Can I just ask how you did the elastic waist?  How much shorter than the waistband did you cut in in order for it to lie nice and flat like that?

@Nevis5  ...... the key is the waistband, rather than the elastic.  For years I would make skirts with elastic waists, by adding huge amounts of width to both skirt and waistband, then inserting elastic to pull it in, resulting in lots of folds at the waistline.  In reality, all you need is for the waistband to be big enough to slip over the hips, and then use the elastic to hold it in at the waist.  Because my waist is quite big (insert deep sigh), but I have relatively narrow hips, the difference is minimal.  The elastic is smaller than the waistband, but pulls the waistband flat when wearing.  I anchor the elastic to the inner layer of the waistband so it doesn't move around.   It is possible that the stretch suiting I plan to use, will not slip over the hips like I would like.  In that instance, I plan to put a side zip in, but still use the elastic in the waist, to create a comfortable band.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 00:48:05 AM by datcat23 »
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:28:40 AM »
Ah, thanks so much @datcat23 .  That makes sense to me.  I asked because I have a lovely pair of trousers with an elastic back which bunches up and makes me look like I'm wearing a nappy underneath  :o and I wanted to smooth them out without losing the elastic element.  I have the same narrow hip/wider waist ratio so hopefully if I redo the back waist that will work.  Might also have to add a zip.  Hmm.

Thanks again xx