The Sewing Place

Leftovers hat

Flobear

Leftovers hat
« on: April 27, 2019, 14:42:23 PM »
Decided I needed a new gardening hat and cobbled together leftover bits of campervan fabric. Not quite enough so used a piratical one for the top. Thought reversible would be good so made second hat and fixed them together. What I hadn't thought through was what would happen when turning up the brim! But, hey, it's only for the garden - and maybe on the odd campsite.
Camper hat
Garden hat
Upside down Vdubs!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Surest1tch

Re: Leftovers hat
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 18:42:46 PM »
Unique

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 18:53:22 PM »
Lovely!  I need that campervan fabric... I just can't figure out what for...  ><
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 20:02:19 PM »
Lovely!  I need that campervan fabric... I just can't figure out what for...  ><

I had the same dilemma and decided to make a kitchen apron. I fully intend to take it when we go campervanning. The leftovers covered a semicircular headrest and the leftover-leftovers went into the hat!

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
I have just delivered six 'Scrap Happy' hats to the garden nursery where I volunteer, for the Summer Fair tomorrow. They are adjustable, which mine isn't, but not reversible, which mine is. Someone has already bagged one!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
@FloBear , they are lovely!  I'll be downloading that hat pattern!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
They're fab.  How do they adjust?
Life's too short for ironing.

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
They do look great! I bet they sell out quickly.  I loves a hat, me x

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »
Just caught up with this thread, love the hats but it’s the concept of needing an apron in a camper van I struggle with.

What’s the pattern BTW?

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
I loves a hat too, @Nevis5, nearly bought another one yesterday when we passed a hat shop in Salisbury - floppy hats, straw hats etc, not millinery.

@Ploshkin, I made a casing about 10 cm or so long, sewed some 1cm elastic into one end and a short length of the hooky side of Velcro on the other end of the elastic where it protruded from the casing. After fixing the casing in the back of the hat, I sewed the fluffy side of the Velcro a little further along so the hooky side could be pressed on to it at the desired point. I felt this was necessary because I have a relatively large head - as was clear when my school boater was being purchased - and if it fits me it might be a bit big on others! 

@b15erk . The pattern is based on a very old Butterick 3664. I have made a number of adjustments to view D over the years and never attempted any of the other views as they would be particularly embarrassing to wear, especially E, F, H and I   :o

eta Scrap Happy is a name I made up. I used my Pfaff text thingy to sew it on to the casings.
@Ellabella  Good point, I didn't actually wear it last time I camped. Can be handy, though, if you're wearing clothes that don't have any pockets. Or if barbecuing in notalot to save splatters on exposed skin!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:43:14 PM by FloBear »