The Sewing Place

Scraps ideas

snoozi soozi

Scraps ideas
« on: April 27, 2019, 16:02:21 PM »
I make a LOT of bias binding, use it endlessly, and every time I slice off the li'l triangles on the edges of the joins I think to myself "there must be a way of using these rather than chuckin em in t'bin".

But how?? They're too small for patchworking, or at least too small for my patience. Any ideas?  :sew:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

fajita

Re: Scraps ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 17:09:05 PM »
Look up 'confetti quilts'.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 17:11:55 PM »
I can give you tons of lil scraps snoozi x
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 18:46:31 PM »
Save all your scraps and take them to nearest charity shop. They will sell them onto fabric scrap merchants for shredding into fine fibres and then re weaving.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 20:05:21 PM »
This is why I make economy quilts.  Those pieces go into the bags for stuffing.

Now I don't quilt, have no real desire to but I am cheap and I have 1/4-1/2 yard left over from sewing.  Those make great bags and the scraps stuff it.*  Those snippets also work for any stuffing, be it dog bed or toy, stuffed animal or pillows.

When I got into fireless cooking last year, I couldn't find the cooker so I made my own hay box.  Antique box, bottom with a padding, strips of the economy quilt to insulate it and a pillow made to size for the top.  Cheaper then hay and I can wash it. 

*if it is silk or satin, I usually make flowers out of them...but those scraps go into the stuffing, too.

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 20:07:27 PM »
I would advise checking that the charity shop you choose has an outlet for them. When I worked in one we had a 'ragman' who came weekly but then was unable to collect from us for quite a while and we couldn't take scraps as we had nowhere else to dispose of them for recycling.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 20:22:58 PM »
I can give you tons of lil scraps snoozi x
Gee thanks @Iminei but I've got more than enough  :o :loveit: :P

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »
I made a large pouffe and stuffed it with scraps, however it was really heavy so think that's be better with a smaller item.
Small decorative hearts might be an idea or fabric Christmas trees (always wanted to try that)

Can use them to stuff draught excluders. In this case it was good that they were heavy as they stayed in place.

In my area the recycling collection will take 'Textiles' for recycling as long as they are in a clear bag. I've done this once and plan to do it regularly.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:15:21 AM »
Thanks everybody but rather than recycling or stuffing stuff I was hoping for ideas on how to use them in a decorative manner  >:)

No worries, I might have a brainwave one day. I have seen an idea for stitching circles of felt onto a cushion cover so that they stick out, they might be suitable for summat in that vein. I will certainly let you know if I come up with an invention  8)

Celia

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
  @snoozi soozi Do let me know if you find any good ideas as I have a small bag of Liberty scraps that are too lovely to throw away but too small to do anything I can think of.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
I’m just clearing my sewing room and I have masses of scraps, some large and some very small.  I have no idea what to do with it at the moment.  I used to use a lot of it when I was teaching and gave it out as samples for beginners. 
I have contacted the Southampton Scrapstore to see if they want any of it.  I think these types of places are all over.  Hoping they will.  Some I am keeping as they are big enough to use in bags etc.  But I don’t quilt so that’s a no no. 

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 13:16:52 PM »
But I don’t quilt so that’s a no no.
The Universe is telling you you need to start!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »
I have a small bag of Liberty scraps that are too lovely to throw away but too small to do anything I can think of.

@Celia    AAAWWWWWWW!!!!   :o   :[
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 14:16:04 PM »
The Universe is telling you you need to start!

Nooooooo!   :o. I cannot imagine what I would do with anything like that. Nobody in my family would thank me for one.  And I wouldn’t like them on my bed or anywhere else for that matter.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 07:41:52 AM »
Things I have done with small pieces of fabric (I'm not a quilter either).

pattern weights/bean bags
lavender sachets
decorative hearts
coasters/tablemats
small zipped coin purse/pencil case
sunglasses cover (soft case)
bunting and mini bunting
applique use heat and bond and satin stitch

The one that was best for really tiny scraps of cute fabric was stitching (or gluing) pieces onto plain cards to make greetings cards, my favourite were bunting, Christmas trees and little houses.
I like to lightly glue them on with a glue stick and then stitch round the edges with the sewing machine. Use a sharp needle and don't use that needle for fabric afterwards (the cardboard dulls it rather)

If you like these ideas I'll come back later and add some pictures of examples I have made. So you can see if they might work for you.