The Sewing Place

Croft Mills

So Chic

Croft Mills
« on: May 05, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »
Excellent service from them.  I ordered some fabric late Thursday afternoon not expecting it to arrive until next Tuesday at the earliest, it arrived yesterday morning by 2nd Class post.  So skirt and lining cut out and pinned and I'm just about to thread up machines ready for sewing.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

jintie

Re: Croft Mills
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 13:09:29 PM »
I have bought lovely Paul Smith shirting in the past.
Rottweiler with scissors

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 16:12:39 PM »
I've used them a lot they're in my top five, reasonable prices and a great range of everything
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 16:34:40 PM »
I first dealt with them over 30 years ago when they issued a mail order catalogue full of humerous descriptions. I think the father of the current owner was responsible

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 17:07:39 PM »
I first dealt with them over 30 years ago when they issued a mail order catalogue full of humerous descriptions. I think the father of the current owner was responsible
Those catalogue descriptions were superb and must have been good publicity for the firm as well.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 17:26:09 PM »
They still give the funny descriptions!  One of my favourite tops is made from a fabric they titled "A Mess" and described as "cream, fairly tightly knit mesh cotton jersey, with an all over growing squawky floral design, in shades of grey. Suitable for baggy garments design to hide."

Well I think it's lovely, even if it did shrink (fortunately ironing it makes it just big enough) - I bought a second lot and washed the hell out of it before sticking it in my stash.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
Yes, the current owner's dad is the one responsible for the hilarious descriptions, and he still does it  0_0  He must be quite a character!

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 20:25:57 PM »
Unfortunately I can’t agree. My last order they completely cocked up, which they eventually rectified and then sent the whole order a second time. When I returned the Post Office charged me £13 to return, they would only refund £5 as per their policy. After several phone calls agreed to refund the extra £8. I’m still waiting.

They have some good fabrics and I’ve bought many times from them, but now very reluctant, due to their attitude.
Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »
They’ve certainly gone upmarket and a lot more expensive than they used to be...I visited once or twice in the 80s... I loved to read their catalogue... though that’s quite a grand term for what was a few pages stapled together.

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »
@Efemera
I used to buy from them regularly in the 90's and loved the fabric descriptions which were often very witty and made me LOL.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
And their fabrics used to turn up in old feed sacks!  Made DH's eyebrows rise more than once.  But yes, the descriptions used to make me smile too.  I've had one or two really nice pieces of fabric from them but you do really have to read the descriptions carefully.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 13:42:12 PM »
And their fabrics used to turn up in old feed sacks!

I've had a couple of deliveries from them in these, I just chuckled  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew