The Sewing Place

Pockets?

Efemera

Pockets?
« on: April 28, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
Just wondering about the construction for side pockets in a lined dress... the posh frock is cotton lawn lined with cotton lawn but I want side pockets... do I make you the skirt as usual with the pockets and then the lining so the pocket hangs between the skirt and the lining? The problem I see with this is the pocket bag will show through and the side seam that attaches the pocket won’t have much strength. I don’t want to make up the skirt and lining as one and then add the pockets, I want a loose lining...can I make it as one until the bottom of the pocket and then have the lining loose?..I’m trying to figure this out....
Any suggestions?

Manuela

Re: Pockets?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »
@Efemera, I’d stabilise the seam allowances with fusible interfacing and then sew the pocket as usual into the dress and line it. I’ve done the pockets in my double gauze cotton dresses like tha without a problem. As a habit I understitch the seam allowance of the upper pocket bag, that ensures it lies nice and flat. You could do that pocket bag using your lining, then it won’t be noticeable in your semi sheer fabric.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
I have just done that with V9103 in cotton lawn lined with cotton lawn (there's a picture on my Members Diaries thread). The pocket bag is sewn into the skirt as normal, with the "top" of the pocket cut from lining and the "bottom" cut from fabric. The lining is separate. Because lining is used for the outside of the pocket, it doesn't show through.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »
Thanks both...think that’s the way to go.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 16:42:20 PM »
Sorted the pockets... cut them from lining fabric and sewed a strip of main fabric onto the back pocket bag where it might show, adds strength but less pattern to show through