The Sewing Place

Smack me in the head over my crazy ideas...discuss with me this Jacket

Kwaaked

I have no idea why I like the sleeves on this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I do not like the jacket it is attached to.  My OH does not like this at all, it's too fussy and he can't get past that to see it any other way then THIS jacket.

I can see this attached to a jean jacket, distressed.  Am I nutters?  Is there another base that would look better?

snoozi soozi

No comment, but I will smack you in the head as requested  ><
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Kwaaked

Yeah, well, we know my taste level is bad at best.

Would it explain things if I admitted Victoria Beckham was my favorite designer?

Ohsewsimple

Would it explain things if I admitted Victoria Beckham was my favorite designer?

Oh dear.  That’s all I can find to say ><

wrenkins

If you like it, go for it.
I wouldn't have the sleeves red or shiny as you could run into some "difficulties" with the folds (See Fendi!!!!).  :S I suppose they're meant to look like roses but they don't have to.

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kwaaked

But this jacket is Alexander McQueen.

As to my taste, I poke fun and don't show you some of the tasteful stuff I do.  I do dress somewhat OTT and colorful some days, but I actually do have, well hidden, some taste.  Honestly, I'd have to have some to do bridal wear.

Even with this jacket, one of the things I am thinking of is doing a jean style in duchesse satin, like the sleeves in cream, drab green or navy...even if I go with Schiaparelli pink, it would be all one color, although that is not really where I am seeing it in my head, and even in a color, I'd do a fruit punch (a more muted pink), coral or mustard.  And either worn with a navy shift or a cream blouse and jeans or slacks.  I guess what I was asking was seeing if my idea of the distressed and fussy sleeves (distressed denim, either with colored denim or the sleeves being the same indigo) worked, if I needed to take it up to a dressy, casual or if I needed to reasses jacket styles and go for boxy or whatnot.

And no, I don't plan on doing anything else other then the sleeves.  No rhinestones, no studs...just a solid jacket with fussy sleeves.

Greybird

If you like it, do it! You have to please yourself. I think that the jacket and the sleeves need to be in the same fabric though. The original looks as if it's original sleeves have been cut off and the pink ones have burgeoned out.

Lachica

Hmm...I can see the attraction to the idea of making the sleeves...to see if you can ...but whatever style of jacket it's attached to, the wearer would need to be careful not to catch them on things (door handles, coat hooks). I think it would work in denim but you wouldn't get the same play of light on a non-reflective fabric. Do share the process when  you make it!!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Kwaaked

I think the jacket as is has a lot going on.  Pointed collar, tailored jacket, deep vee, waist seam, waist button, pockets, sleeves...it's hard to know where to look, and the model's waist is higher then the jacket's waist.  And then the two tone color...it's all a bit off and a bit of a disconnect. 

This particular item caught my attention on the runway for the sleeves...bit McQueen lite meets Madame Vionnet.  It fulfills my love of avant garde while still being quite wearable.  (I don't really have bad taste, see, it's just avant garde!  And yes, I am sticking to that.)

I also think it's a rehash of an older McQueen element.  I almost want to say he did this exact treatment, but it is very much a throw back to the Tudor rose of the F/W 2008 season he did...but not as dramatic.  And not as well executed as McQueen did himself.

And so, I'm trying to take a less usual feature, in this case the sleeves, and make a garment that I can wear day to day.  Avant garde lite for the shops as it were.  I'll shut up now, lol.

Kwaaked

@Lachica I figured out the sleeves in 1/4 scale earlier and made the draping a little smaller, since I don't need the wider shoulder line, nor does that leg o mutton look go over all that well.

Acorn

Re: Smack me in the head over my crazy ideas...discuss with me this Jacket
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 20:34:52 PM »
I think that the sleeves - in their fancy fabric, but (as you say) a little smaller - would look great with a faded denim jeans jacket.

I love seeing denim matched with soft or fancy fabrics.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 20:45:35 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 20:42:44 PM »
Quote from: Kwaaked on Today at 18:31:22

Oh dear.  That’s all I can find to say ><

What she said with bells on ... tho I must admit you are American so may be forgiven

VB is the Hilary Clinton of England"!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 20:43:12 PM »
Wow. Exotic. Go for it!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 21:15:27 PM »
Well I love it! But as a work of art rather than something I could ever wear. It's amazing. How do you turn it into a jacket to be worn to the supermarket? Or even out in the evening?