The Sewing Place

Smack me in the head over my crazy ideas...discuss with me this Jacket

Kwaaked

Re: Smack me in the head over my crazy ideas...discuss with me this Jacket
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 21:40:25 PM »
@SkoutSews How do you make a Chanel jacket wearable?  I'm not being sarcastic with this...but many invest in one of them and find a hard time figuring out where to wear it.

On this, well, making it in poly instead of silk, would be one place to start.  You can wash it much easier.

Making the "rose" smaller...the drape need not be so dramatic. 

Making the sleeves wider from elbow down to not make the head of the sleeve pop out and minimize some of the dramatic.

Making the jacket more casual in design, be it by mimicking a jean jacket, making a cardigan or other less formal, and less tailored garment.

Making a more muted color.

Styling...boyfriend jeans and a t-shirt (silk, bamboo or other higher end textile would be important, especially if you're using poly), motorcycle boots, leather bracelet would make it a weekend wear and edgy enough to remove some of the fussiness.  Or slack rolled to ankle and ankle boots with same t-shirt.  Conversely, still wearable day to day would be a sheath in a solid color, matching or not or a skirt and basic buttoned blouse with loafer styled low heels, stud earrings and simple jewelry.  That would make a regular business attire more edgy.

Evening, isn't hard...depending on what you do in the evening.  I wear corsets, and many of them by themselves and skirts in the evening...a slightly edgy skirt, corset and this to cover makes an interesting adult night out attire.  Worn with business casual and strappy sandals makes it more dinner appropriate.  In cream, you can pair it with a cream dress, silver sandals and have a semi-casual wedding dress, or in a monochrome for a play or dinner out.

Now...when I do go to a bar, which is not often (and I don't drink) I go to a legit honky tonk.  Sawdust on the floor, chicken wire around the stage...the fact I am not braless in a tank top with shorts or jeans and trainers makes me stand out enough it doesn't really matter what I actually wear.

@Iminei Yeah, VB is not particularly well liked here either and for the most part I don't care for what she puts out.  When she hits it though, it's awesome.  I have spoken to her once briefly, and I think that has more to do with it then her actual designs.  Isaac Mizrahi is one of my other famous designers...I was able to attend a lecture he gave and he was very bright about the work...bit brusque, but eh.  I am, too.  And the Blonds rounds out my faves.  They are different to my favorite wearable designers...and they are not the same. 

Same as my general sewing...I share the OTT stuff I want/do make in idea form (although I know most of you have no interest in seeing it in actuality), but most of my stuff is mundane, normal things with a few statement pieces.  Day to day I wear a lot of navy...sheaths and slacks and color in tunics and blouses, but very little of it is eye catching and it's stuff you can see all over the world.

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 22:19:31 PM »
@Kwaaked I think you're wrong there - we would love to see it in actuality!

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 22:43:06 PM »
I love Victoria Beckham s designs
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Marniesews

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 23:09:01 PM »
@SkoutSews
Now...when I do go to a bar, which is not often (and I don't drink) I go to a legit honky tonk.  Sawdust on the floor, chicken wire around the stage...the fact I am not braless in a tank top with shorts or jeans and trainers makes me stand out enough it doesn't really matter what I actually wear.

I love the image of you in those sleeves here - wouldn't have got it if I hadn't seen Blues Brothers. My doubts about your original image is just the scale really. Having spent too much of my life top heavy I auto recoil from anything that widens the upper body. Now I have the full picture though... how wonderful!

I rather like the Sato sleeves in Morgan's post too but the long sleeves will protect you better from the broken glass ricochet.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 23:17:18 PM »
I don't wear sleeveless due to scaring and lupus is causing me to have vitiligo...so I try to minimize all of that with 3/4 or bracelet sleeves now.

The bars I go into is more Rhinestone cowboy then blues brothers...I used to go to Mickey Gilley's when I was younger and before they cleaned it up.

I like the Sato sleeves, too.  But I am a fan of Vionnet, and so much of this reminds me of it.

Marniesews

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 23:21:09 PM »
Rhinestone cowboy? Should definitely work then.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Manuela

@SkoutSews How do you make a Chanel jacket wearable?  I'm not being sarcastic with this...but many invest in one of them and find a hard time figuring out where to wear it.

I made several Chanel style jackets and wear them with jeans and (lomger and fitted) T-shirts or semi-casual blouses. They are as comfortable as a cardigan, you have to figure out what exact length works for you hand how fitted/loose they look best on you.

jintie

Make a sleeveless waistcoat/vest, with sleevies underneath? (It's a sort of bolero).
Rottweiler with scissors

Kwaaked

@Manuela that was my point.  Jackets can be fussy, fancy, expensive, arty, avant garde, normal, vintage or basic are all in the end, a jacket.

I have made a couple, all my weird tastes aside.  One is black and a little edgy, for what a Chanel style can be since the trim is geometric and not fringe, and one is cream based with orange, aqua, brown and yellow which sounds louder then it is that is as traditional as it can be.  I wear them like I do any jacket...the time spent making one is irrelevant.

If I waited to wear the clothes I wanted to wear to the places most people would gravitate to wearing them, I'd never get them out of my wardrobe and I'd never get out of my pajamas. 

Missie

I think those sleeves would be fabulous on a denim jacket.  They would, for me, have to be in a blue, not necessarily the same shade as the denim, but blue nonetheless.

Greybird

I've made several Chanel style jackets (V7975), because the shape and "unclutteredness" suits me. I don't put the braid on though. Depending on the fabric - from silk dupion to tweed - they can look very different and are very useful whatever I wear them with.

Manuela

@Greybird try to pull yarns from the boucle, roll them up and crochet them into a trim. You can use knitting yarn in one of the boucle colours to add volume (or pull mote boucle yarns) as well. That way the trim doesn’t ‘stand oit’, is as soft as the boucle and looks really natural on the jacket. Another option could be fringe trim made from the boucle.
I always pop into the Chanel stores at the airport en route to Thailand to have a close look at trims, check the hand (and composition) of the boucle and study the workmanship in general.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:44:55 AM by Manuela »

Goth Gardiner

I like it, don't love it only because I think the idea was done better by Mr McQueen himself.

I also don't particularly like the colour combination. I could see those sleeves though in black satin on a black leather bikers jacket. Or in chiffon on a velvet jacket. Or in any thing on an evening gown.

I want to see your final version.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Greybird

Thank you @Manuela - that's really interesting.

BrendaP

I have no idea why I like the sleeves on this:
I do not like the jacket it is attached to. 

I like the jacket but not the sleeves attached to it!   :devil:
They don't even match, the folds are different on each.

It reminds me of the sort of orgigami stuff they had to do on the last but one (I think) GBSB
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.