The Sewing Place

Hello

Ryomaden

Hello
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »
Hi everyone
I am new to here and sewing. I'm from the UK and based in London/Japan (Japan full time from the end of this year)
My main interest is in shirt making for myself, I find it almost impossible to get shirts that fit me well in the UK so I have been researching and trying some techniques from David Coffin's book on the matter. Saying that, the first garment I will attempt to make is a dress for my wife  -< I'm hoping it will be a nice surprise for her. I received the pattern this morning so there may be a slew of questions coming your way soon!

Efemera

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:51 PM »
Hello there... welcome.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
A big welcome from me too!

Question away Ryomaden! We love to help. Your coming projects sound great, look forward to seeing your progress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
Welcome @Ryomaden  :flower: :drink:

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 13:27:19 PM »
Hello and welcome!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 13:44:27 PM »
Welcome @Ryomaden i wish you well in your shirt making, they elude me  :'(
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 15:16:08 PM »
Welcome, Ryomaden.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Flobear

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 16:00:49 PM »
Welcome, Ryomaden.
My number 1 hint for shirt making is 'Make sure the pattern is the right size!'  I was caught out recently by a pattern that gave European and US sizing - I didn't think to check as all patterns I have bought previously in the UK have had UK sizing. Consequently my carefully-made shirt for a special occasion did not fit  -<
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 17:11:37 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Ryomaden
DPC's book is good.  But he also has a class on Blueprint (used to Craftsy) called
Shirtmaking Details, Beyond the Basics
This makes it much clearer 

However he also has a DVD about shirtmaking and that is excellent.  I have all 3.   :). Haven’t watched the DVD for a while but seem to remember it takes you step by step.  Seems to be available here.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781600850776/Shirtmaking-Techniques-DVD-2009-Region-1600850774/plp
I’ve made several men's shirts over the years.  Not too difficult but you need to be precise with the stitching.
The most important thing before starting any project is MEASURE.  measure the person, and check against finished measurements on the pattern.   SIZES. quoted are pretty meaningless. it is the actual measurements that are important.   Good luck.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 17:59:57 PM »
Hi there - welcome from me too. Shirt-making is great fun, especially if you enjoy paying attention to the details. :) Good luck.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 20:40:08 PM »
Welcome, ask away, one of  us will be able to help you

Ryomaden

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 22:00:25 PM »
Thanks everyone  :toast:
Welcome to TSP @Ryomaden
DPC's book is good.  But he also has a class on Blueprint (used to Craftsy) called
Shirtmaking Details, Beyond the Basics
This makes it much clearer 

I had a look at bluprint, I think I will sign up for the free trial and watch his videos. Thanks.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 04:57:29 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place @Ryomaden. Give me a shout if/when you pop over to Hong Kong  ;)

Nevis5

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »
Welcome @Ryomaden  from me too  :toast: .  Good luck with the shirts!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 08:36:53 AM »
Hello @Ryomaden
I love Japan (the contrasts between traditional and high tech)  :loveit: so I’m a tad envious of you going to live there.
Is your wife Japanese?
Whereabouts in Japan will you be moving to? (Sorry, I’m just naturally very nosy :|)

Can’t help you with your sewing as I’m a newby myself but you will find lots of great support on this site from some very experienced sewists.